My sullies current setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I currently have my two sulcata tortoises in a 10 gallon aquarium with a UVB bulb, reptile carpet and two lids for food and water. What else do they need to be healthy? The more info the better! Thanks for your time and answers :)

mybabies3.jpg

mybabies2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Holly:

A 10 gallon aquarium is much too small for two baby sulcatas. Once you put in a food tile/rock, water dish, hiding place and any plantings or decorations, there's no room left for the tortoises to get exercise. Plus, the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) that they need for their UV will make a 10 gallon aquarium too hot.

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
Welcome Holly, please search this site for tortoise tables, you can find many pictured in the enclosure section. They love to walk, walk, walk and need lots of space.

Look around the forum, you will find so many great ideas. Congrats on your new torts!

B

byerssusan

Hi Holly, that's what I had when I first brought my sulcata home. But after being here and watching Phoenix..the tort..I quickly found out they needed more space. Lots more space. There are so so many cool ideas here on making tables ..have fun looking and finally setting yours up. It's so much fun. And congrats on your new babies

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks everyone! I'm using a 10 gallon aquarium because I already had it and have like no money or space inside. I live on an acre so once they get old enough to live outside they'll have plenty of space. How old/big would that be? The light doesn't bring any heat which is why I'll bring them outside for at least 30 min. a day.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Very cute sulcatas. For them to be healthy you will definitely need to keep them in a much larger area than what they are currently in, as Yvonne said - that small of a tank will also get wayyy too hot for them and they wont be able to escape it. They will also need some type of substrate. We personally use the coco coir and havent had any issues and we use the reptile carpet for when he is outside of his enclosure. I would also suggest a terra cotta saucer to hold the water that way if they want to self soak during the day they can, they are shallow enough to just cover their legs. Congrats on the babies and dont be afraid to ask questions! A lot of people here are experienced Sulcata owners! :D

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Tom,a forum member has a great thread on raising sulcatas.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hello, Holly! Your little ones are simply adorable! :p
Please read Tom's thread located here that is all about raising Sulcata hatchling and babies. It will really help you get well on your way to being the best tort mommy you can be! :)

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
It can be very cheap/easy to put together a good enclosure for a hatchling tortoise. Book cases, spare sweater boxes (rubbermaid tubs), and similar items are available for free on craigslist all the time. For substrate, you can head out onto your acre with a shovel.

I am not trying to be mean, but please take a look at this thread as well. It will illustrate for you exactly how appropriate a 10 gallon aquarium is for sulcata hatchlings. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-My-Sulcata-Outgrew-His-10-Gallon-Aquarium#axzz1b8kJ2z5b

Status
Not open for further replies.