My Sulcata's Tortarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey, how's everyone and their tortoises been?

Here's my enclosure where I keep my two Sulcata's Mervin and Mabel. The terrarium is an Exo Terra 36" x 18" x 18" I believe it's big enough to raise these hatchlings until they reach about 3.5-4". I also use a 24" x 18" acrylic sheet that I build a handle to, to hold more humidity in the terrarium. Last week I planted some seeds and I'm surprised to see they started sprouting within 4 days or so. This enclosure is only supposed to last until Spring unless they've reach the size before then.

You can checkout my thread to read more about my enclosure, post #10. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/post-577397.html#pid577397

photo1yp.jpg

photo4hrt.jpg

photosbs.jpg

photo2dag.jpg

photo3efk.jpg

photo5om.jpg

Thanks for looking!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Really nice!!! I' got the same setup for my babies, only now they're too big for even one of them to live in. Your little one will outgrow that in less than year. What will you do then? BTW, your baby is adorable.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
sibi said:
Really nice!!! I' got the same setup for my babies, only now they're too big for even one of them to live in. Your little one will outgrow that in less than year. What will you do then? BTW, your baby is adorable.

I know they will. I'll just do what I've done in the past years, build them a bigger and better enclosure. They'll be housed outdoors once winters past. Thanks, I appreciate it!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sounds like a plan. Best wishes for you and your babies.

morloch

5 Year Member
I love the shell shelter!! Do they come in different sizes?

morloch

5 Year Member
Thank you!!

Hope they have it in Canada!!! Going to check this week

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
It's funny the hides are pyramided??
Isn't it? Or just from the pic angle maybe? My RF was pyramided when I got him and it is so weird that some folks love it! Maybe that's the way with the hide?
Nay

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
What are the dimensions on the shell hide? I have one similar, although I think its smaller.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Biff Malibu said:
What are the dimensions on the shell hide? I have one similar, although I think its smaller.

12"L x 9"W x 5"H

Arizona Sulcata said:
I have that same automatic mister. How's it working for you?

I honestly love it. I really like when my tortoises are out and the mister turns on, it helps not having to spray them like I used to. Humidity is at a consistent 50% and rises every 2 hours to about 75-80%+ for a mediocre period of time. I'm currently upgrading a few things about the enclosure, I will update soon!

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Update

Yesterday I decided to redo my enclosure to something similar of what I've done in my past enclosures. I changed and included the following:

All natural cypress mulch
Terrarium moss
Fake plant
Larger basking area
Built a new humid hide, with a finch feeder sock net stuffed with imported grade sphagnum moss.
Built in/rewired ceramic heat emitter
Cut terrarium carpet into 3 pieces to hold in humidity from rising to the top of my screen covers.

Humidity is now at a consistent 80%+ compared to what it was at 50%+.

Here are some pictures:
photo1fk.jpg

photo2ar.jpg

photo4xf.jpg

photo5ok.jpg

photo3xth.jpg

photo11gc.jpg

photo21x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.