My Sulcata Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Joliet,IL
dmarcus said:
I hope it doesn't happen, but don't be surprised if you see her pass a few bladder stones. Mine passed a few about a week after I got her. She was more active after they were passed.. Sucks when the care they receive causes them so many problems..

I will.keep an eye out:)

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
Laura said:
pretty severe.. MBD im sure.
My first rescue looked like that as well. He has grown and loves to eat, but growth is slow. I was told that he may never grow or his life will be cut short as well. :-(
but doing great.. Walks much better now, lives outside 24-7 with heated box. Loves Mazuri..
When he first came, there was give in the shell when you pushed on it.. not anymore. :)

Did you do anything special for the.soft shell, or was it just corrected with correct diet and lighting??
I just inspected her a little more and her shell is very soft all around, where there is a lot of give :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sunlight and calcium will harden her shell up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Snapper925:

I looked back to previous threads, but I don't see that you've ever told us what to call you.

The dip over the back hips tells you the tortoise suffers from MBD. The calcium is going to be very helpful, but remember, calcium doesn't work unless it is coupled with the sun for vitamin d3 or an expensive UVB light. I wouldn't use the same light that came with the tortoise. It obviously hasn't been doing the job.

I'm so glad you took pity on this poor tortoise. In this day and age of computers and cell phones that get the internet, there's absolutely NO excuse for a tortoise to be taken care of like this one was. I'm glad there was love there, but the love didn't transfer over to doing a little research in proper care.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
You can call me Jeff :D
and thanks for all the info.
Currently all her food is being dusted with calcium, and the uvb light is on all day, until it gets.nice outside :D

Status
Not open for further replies.