My russian tortoise wont poop

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My tort doesn't pop very often in or out of water.
It's often the exercise of moving about in his tub that helps get things moving and at last its contained!
These may be daft questions but does he have a uvb source to help his digestion and what's his main diet?
If you post pics of his enclosure members can advise on any changes you could make that may help,

Jessica Darcy

he has a UVB light and a heating lamp. his diet consists of mix salad, kale, and watercress.

Attachments

• 20170529_133546.jpg
    20170529_133546.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have a cardboard box as a shelter which tells me your enclosure is very dry.

For your tortoise to be healthy the humidity needs to be raised and that requires the substrate to be damp.

How frequently do you soak your tortoise? And for how long? I am concerned your tort is not properly hydrated and this leads to constipation.

There are other concerns that I have with your enclosure, but rather than list them I suggest you read the TFO care guides and compare them with what you have.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Jessica Darcy

I soak him evey other day for 25mins. His shelter is temporarily he out grown his previous shelter

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I soak him evey other day for 25mins. His shelter is temporarily he out grown his previous shelter
The cardboard is dry which means your enclosure is too.

Please read the links I gave you so that you can see what your tort needs to be healthy

With regard to poops, try a much bigger bowl or even your (clean) bath tub and keeping your tort in it for even longer... let it scrabble to get out a while. Exercise encourages your tort to poop.