My Russian has a shell wound ? (reddish plastron)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSwede

5 Year Member
Hello Tortoiselovers!

I just want to ask the expertise on the forum what you think about this. I lifted up my lovely russian today and saw she was had a small reddish area on her plastron.

I believe this is just a scratchwound that she got from the new waterbowl after climbing on it but want to make sure its nothing else. Its just a very small area during the middle. Could this be the start of something else? Pics are as good as they can get and not so easy to tell but please give me your opinion.

She has been healthy and eating well, active, poop etc

Its a female about 6 years and almost 600gr

shell1.JPG shell2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't see what you're seeing. Sometimes the areas of new growth look pinkish, could that be it?

TheSwede

5 Year Member
Thanks for your answer. I know its very hard to tell and this is the best picture out of 20. Pinkish is a better way to describe this than red u are right about that. Its just about a thumbnail size of pink right in the center of plastron. Ive not noticed any pinkunder her shell anytime before.

However when she fell over she got a little scar on her carapax it was pinkish for some week before it healed... Its hard to describe but I will check her plastron everyday now and see how its evolves

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
It looks like normal shell growth to me. One of my females gets kind of pink at the seams of her plastron when she grows. Then they turn white-ish yellow, and finally kinda dark yellow. Unless there is oozing or any sign it is actually open, I wouldn't worry at all.

TheSwede

5 Year Member
Awesome! I think and hope u are right... Thanks for the calming words. I´ll keep checking her a few times a week and hopefully this will fade away.

Status
Not open for further replies.