my radiata eats mazuri pellets only. refuse eat other food

enchilada

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Beach CA
recently my radiata start eating mazuri pellets only. he refuse eat anything else.
He used to love spring mix and fruits.

anything i can do to make him start eating normal, more variety food?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mix whatever you want him to eat with soaked Mazuri and then gradually reduce the amount of Mazuri over a period of weeks or months.

I wouldn't feed them any fruit. Weeds and leaves are best. Radiata LOVE spineless opuntia too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Exactly what Tom said.
Lots and lots of tortoises do this once they've tried Mazuri.
I resorted to placing greens in a food processor and mixing them in.
You'll eventually find a balance where they will eat everything.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i had a reverse situation my redfoot wouldn't eat mazuri so i just gave him tough love of only giving him mazuri for a couple day's until he'd eat it it worked and now he will go to town on it any time

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
just found out one more thing he'd like to eat besides mazuri------aquatic turtle food
guess i should starve him for couple days and try the veggie/mazuri mix

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shouldn't even need to starve him. Just use a very small amount of finely chopped new stuff mixed in. It will be such a small amount that he won't notice it. Gradually increase the amount over a week or two until he does notice. Then hold that ratio until he gets hungry enough to eat it all, before continuing to increase the new food and reduce the Mazuri.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Dont give turtle pellets. They are high in protein in general.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dont give turtle pellets. They are high in protein in general.

The Mazuri we are talking about is not "turtle pellets". It is balanced nutrition formulated for tortoises, and the protein content i just fine for our tortoises. It has been tried and tested by thousands of tortoise keepers for decades.

Protein is not the villain that people once thought it was, and many of our tortoises have been protein deficient for quite along time because of this misconception.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
UPDATE: mixed mazuri with veggie was working well, but i start being lazy again.... so i back to just toss some veggies or soaked mazuri everyday, depends on how busy i am.
yesterday he starts eating veggies again suddenly. :tort:

Zeko

5 Year Member
Not sure why people are so up in arms about feeding Mazari every day. Simply chop it up, mix in weeds/other foods and serve. High protein does NOT lead to pyramiding.

I've fed this tortoise a Mazari mix every day for 4 years:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431039196.914522.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
just found out one more thing he'd like to eat besides mazuri------aquatic turtle food
guess i should starve him for couple days and try the veggie/mazuri mix
Water turtle food should have too much protein in it ! Cause most water turtles have a need for protein ! And don't starve your baby :water is what makes helps spring mix go bad if you sprinkle Mazarin powder on spring mix it will last longer . And the tort will eat it the vegys . And you'll be happy it won't spoil as fast !

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Not sure why people are so up in arms about feeding Mazari every day. Simply chop it up, mix in weeds/other foods and serve. High protein does NOT lead to pyramiding.

I've fed this tortoise a Mazari mix every day for 4 years:

View attachment 129031
This is a cherry head tortoise. They require little bit of protein in their diets. But not so for radiated tortoises

Zeko

5 Year Member
This is a cherry head tortoise. They require little bit of protein in their diets. But not so for radiated tortoises

How about a 1 year old sulcata. Same exact Mazari/weed/grass mix. My opinion still stands on the fact protein does not create pyramiding.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
From what I've seen and dealt with. Be happy when your tortoise eats!
A tortoise with a healthy appetite is a great thing.
Mine eat Mazuri and greens that I whip up in a food processor and serve like peanut butter with some sort of side, usually Hibiscus.
They HAVE to have Mazuri or they pout.

Chad

New member here but used to keep Radiata for yrs. Like others mentioned, I would soak the mazuri then mash it by hand into the greens I would feed them. This would keep them from only eating the mazuri. I had excellent smooth growth and zero issues.
I sold my group to another breeder in Florida and I'm betting they are all breeding now. I need to track him down but I've moved across country since then.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@enchilada - Can you set your tortoise up outside in an area with plenty of weeds and grasses? I'll bet he'll eat then.