My little guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Serpent

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Front Royal, VA
Just wanted to show off my little guy. If you see anything that needs to be improved. Please let me know. :) Currently, he is in coconut husk for substrate, and lots of damp moss on 1 side that he hides under, heat and UV light. Feeding worms, sometimes greens. He hardly eats his greens... I know he needs more protein at this point than greens, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to intruduce them early. :D

30226_1337858805015_1187481439_30801669_8104267_n.jpg

66240_1480820298963_1187481439_31136503_6732432_n.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw isn't he cute? You can also try fruit. Even babies will eat melon or strawberries. I always put down a bed of greens (usually red-leaf lettuce), then some chopped up fruit, and the worms or pin head crickets on top of that.

Lady Serpent

5 Year Member
Front Royal, VA
That's a good idea about the cricket. I wonder if he'll chase them around or should I kill them 1st? LOL I will try that! :D As for fruits, I used to give him strawberries from the garden when it was warm. Haven't done that since. I also tried bananas...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you find that he can't catch the crickets, you can pull their legs off (ew).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
He's adorable. He looks like a Three Toed..is he? My little Three Toed is 1 year old now, and he didn't eat fruit or greens until he was around 8 months, but I always kept trying. Two weeks before I stop feeding before hibernation, I give some canned venison to the older ones, so when I start a little guy on greens or fruit, I mix a little venison in with the chopped veggies and fruit.
At this age they are hidden under leaf litter and eat any little bug that they find under there. Just remember low light and high warm humidity. I love boxie babies...scary to start off, but oh so cute.

Lady Serpent

5 Year Member
Front Royal, VA
LMAO @ pulling the legs off...haha! Actually I am scared of touching crickets.

@ Terryo, He is a eastern box turtle. He doesn't like his greens or fruits either. So, I ether wait or day or 2 late to feed him(so he'll eat!) or I mix the worms in with it. haha

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Lady Serpent said:
LMAO @ pulling the legs off...haha! Actually I am scared of touching crickets.

@ Terryo, He is a eastern box turtle. He doesn't like his greens or fruits either. So, I ether wait or day or 2 late to feed him(so he'll eat!) or I mix the worms in with it. haha

Your scared of a cricket:) what's around your neck :D there so tiny and they do not bite:)

Lady Serpent

5 Year Member
Front Royal, VA
Haha! Yea I know... I'm terrified of pray mantis too! I'd run away and lock the doors on whomever's chasing me with those darn things! Ugh!!! I can't stand the thoughts of them!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That was my thought too, Corey.....scared of a little bitty cricket but you've got a big old snake draped around you body?

I don't like to touch crickets either. But the baby box turtles are able to catch them ok without me having to intervene (thank goodness!)

moswen

5 Year Member
oh, there's nothing cuter than a baby box turtle! yours is precious.

Lady Serpent

5 Year Member
Front Royal, VA
I would even go out and pick clovers and dandelions for him! LOL Now, I just pick them for my guinea pig... I enjoy picking them for my animals. :) Can't wait till spring when everything pops out and ready for the picking!

Jerseynox

5 Year Member
se michigan
thats a cute little guy
just to make sure i read all these replys correctly the chick with the giant slimey scarey slithering snakes wraped around her body is scared of tiny little crickets and praying mantisis :D what is the world coming to

next thing you know youll be telling us you dont like cake and ice cream:p

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
He's a cute little bugger. I believe that baby boxies have a taste for red things...you could also give him some peaches or cherries, see if that will brighten up his appetite. They will definitely love berries too.

Status
Not open for further replies.