My little baby star!

Status
Not open for further replies.

min

5 Year Member
Hi guys, I'm new to this. I have a little baby star and have had him for 6 days now! He's great, been feeding so well and isn't too shy which is fantastic. But today he seemed a little different, he didn't eat much and has dug into the substrate in the corner, I believed stars were non diggers!!! Has anyone else seen any similar behaviour in their star?!?
Thanks guys

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi min and welcome to the Forum!

Could be any one of a dozen reasons...is your light too bright...is it warm enough...we'll need much more info in order to help you.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Most small tortoises will dig themselves down a little in the substrate. But like Yvonne said, it could be a number of reasons. Could you give us some details on how you're keeping him? Pictures would tell a thousand words.

min

5 Year Member
Thanks guys, I will post a piccy in a min when I turn his lights on. I have a wood chip substrate and have noticed a lot of stars on here have more of a dirt substrate. Ill get a pic up, thanks for your opinions, much appreciated :)
image-1673067593.png

This is my set up, it's a plastic tank with grills at the top, I have a 60w bulb and a Arcadia d3 reptile light, he has wood chip for substrate and his lights are on 8-8 and heat mat over night 8-8. I spray him around 5pm before he eats, I'm feeding him rocket, cress, lambs lettuce, kale and carrots and courgette for treats at the moment. I haven't soaked him at all as I wasn't told this was a must. His humidity ranges from 30-70 (higher over night after spraying) he's been trained so that the spray tells him it's dinner time. Any advice is much appreciated :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First you need to give him a hide to sleep in/under. Second, you need a bigger water dish and make it level with the substrate. He should be able to get in and out of it easily, so a clay plant saucer works best. Also, you should be soaking him in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes. That's all I can add.

min

5 Year Member
pam said:

Thank you :)

wellington said:
First you need to give him a hide to sleep in/under. Second, you need a bigger water dish and make it level with the substrate. He should be able to get in and out of it easily, so a clay plant saucer works best. Also, you should be soaking him in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes. That's all I can add.

Thanks for your advice, I soaked him yesterday for the first time and it perked him up. So I will get straight on adding things to hi enclosure. Do I put the hide at the hot end so it's humid for him? And I see others have out moss or something in there?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I would think he is burying himself because he has no hides in his enclosure.

Welcome!

min

5 Year Member
Thankyou I've got him a hide today so fingers crossed he'll love it

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
lisa127 said:
I would think he is burying himself because he has no hides in his enclosure.

Welcome!

Yeah, u should built some cave or some place for the tort to hide,.

Anyway, welcome!

min

5 Year Member
Thankyou :) I will pop a picture on of his bee set up once I've got it all in place

min

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome. I hope the advise you've been given has been helping. I found this care sheet. Its for leopards, but stars are kept the same. I hope it helps
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1n7UvUQiO

Thankyou, I am popping his new substrate in tomorrow but tonight I've already given him a hide etc and he's already livened up and had a good sting around exploring :) I already feel a lot more positive that he's happier so hopefully tomorrow it'll be just right. Here's a pic of his new bits and bobs

image-538679576.png

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Things are looking good for now. Remember to soak him in warm water everyday 2-3 times a day for 20-30 mins. Some may suggest to soak once a day, but as a general rule, soaking more can't hurt him but only help keep him hydrated at all times. You have a beautiful baby, and we all want you to keep him healthy. We will wait for pics.

min

5 Year Member
Thankyou, I really appreciate all the help ive received on here and his enclosure has improved a lot from it. My breeder told me not to soak him as to not stress him out but I have gone against his advice and I agree that he enjoys the soak and always perks up after it. I will carry on giving him little warms baths and taking little tips from you all. Thanks again :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You are a wise person! Trust your instincts and observe what your baby seems to enjoy. Listening to the experience of others here will only help you to grow in your knowledge.

min

5 Year Member
image-1975653650.png

Much happier now with his new enclosure! He's so awake compared to usual :)

Status
Not open for further replies.