My Greek tortoise hatchlings

gigios

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hey guys this year had my first Greek tortoise hatchlings, hatched on their own in the garden as I m living in a mediterranean island and here its similar to their own habitat. Have 4 baby Greeks :D I wanted to share my joy with everyone!

SAM_1556.JPG
SAM_1561.JPG
SAM_1700.JPG
SAM_1701.JPG

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That is so coooooool! Happy new testudo graeca (?) babies! They are precious!
And hello from way over here in Southern California. We have a little of your Mediterranean climate, but your country is divinely beautiful! : )

gigios

5 Year Member
Cyprus
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
That is so coooooool! Happy new testudo graeca (?) babies! They are precious!
And hello from way over here in Southern California. We have a little of your Mediterranean climate, but your country is divinely beautiful! : )

Yes Testudo graeca dont know exactly subspecies, I assume Testudo graeca graeca :cool:

Thanks a lot, they are indeed very cute!:p

gigios

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Heres mummy ..hehe daddy i sold long time ago..but suprisingly she kept sperm and had hatchlings!!!Have a new male now but i havent put them together yet..waiting for spring! :D

In the photos she is laying the eggs!!!

SAM_0995.JPGSAM_1002.JPGSAM_0996.JPGSAM_0997.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

fbolzicco

5 Year Member
Santa Monica CA
wow, she's not so old I think, when did you sell the male? this is an interesting proof, beacause despite what of what usually people says about tortoises, I never find so truth the fact that females tortoises keep the sperm for 2/3 years..

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wonderful looking babies and Momma too! Congratulations!

gigios

5 Year Member
Cyprus
fbolzicco said:
wow, she's not so old I think, when did you sell the male? this is an interesting proof, beacause despite what of what usually people says about tortoises, I never find so truth the fact that females tortoises keep the sperm for 2/3 years..

Yes indeed! well shes about 5-6 years old i think. And the male i sold atleast 1.5 years ago if not 2..so she kept sperm from when she was immature and used it now for this brood..I saw her putting eggs but said nah they are infertile , but left them to there own...And suprise I had on the 13 of Sept this year when i saw them running in the yard. :D
I found the 3 first, then dug up the nest to make sure, where there was one dead hatchling still inside its egg...Then a week later my dad found the fourth :cool:

So its 4 babies as i mentioned... And waiting for my Trachemys scripta elegans and Mauremys rivulata to hatch now in 20 days!!! ;)