My first Russian Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Garland, Texas
Hello everyone.

I've been keeping turtles for years and always wanted a tortoise. I have a red belly cooter and yellow belly cooter in my 100 gallon. I also used to have an eastern box turtle that I gave away and always regretted. Well now I stumbled onto these two little russian tortoises on craigslist for a great price and had to grab 'em.

They seem to be in good health but I was a little worried about the poor coloration on the male (the smaller one). He doesn't look as nice as many of the russian tort pics I see. Is there a health concern or am I being to rough on his looks? lol. Also I am a bit worried about the length of both their beaks.

Also I am pretty sure that I have a male and female but can you guys confirm? I am wanting to breed them, are they too small yet? The female is almost 5" and the male about 4 1/2". I'm kind of hoping they're not ready, that way I could have a while to properly set everything up.
Lastly, is their set up adequate? I've never kept these guys before. I've been researching everything and want to make sure I am doing it right. Figured I'd join these forums to ask other tortoise lovers rather then bugging my friends and family all day with my new found obsession.

~Danielle

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 80

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The shells do not look "bad" to me, but they should look better and more finsihed for lack o a better term with more time and proper care with you. Sadly, I think I am seeing two males there. Where on the tail is the cloaca opening on the tail of the second one? The beaks are too long, your right they ned a trim.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cooky, and welcome to the Forum!

Looks to me like you have two males also.

In my opinion, you need to set these two tortoises up in a large, safe outdoor yard. The cement mixing tub you have them in is way too small for two male Russian tortoises. They need quite a bit of wandering space, and I think you are soon going to start to see fighting between them because they have no way to get out of each other's way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with all of the above.

I can't tell for sure about the beaks though. Can you post a pic of their faces?

I would separate them. Russians seldom get along in pairs regardless of the sexes.

Those tubs are fine for growing out babies, but adult, or subadults in your case, need more space than that. If they each have a large outside enclosure to roam around all day and only sleep in tubs that size, they will be fine, but that size is too small for just one of them to live in full time.

Have you gotten good diet info yet? Broadleaf weeds and certain leaves are the best diet for them.

Welcome to the forum. I hope we can help.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Yeah I was reading through the forums here last night waiting for my post to show up and I think he did give me two males. Just seems my large one has a small tail but not quite 'female small'. Uggg. I would have only bought one but I bought two since I was getting a male and female. But now I was reading just one male and female isn't good either so I may stick with just one. I may just rehome the smaller male if I can find someone who will take proper care of him. Also I am planning to keep them out doors eventually but I am keeping them indoors for now to keep a close eye on them and how they're doing. I know outside would probably help them get in better condition faster but I am in an apartment. I could keep them outdoors at my boyfriends home but I want to be with them to ensure they're doing ok. Once I live there (by the end of the yr) I plan on building them an outdoor enclosure.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Also yes I've been feeing them baby spring mix, kale, and turnip greens to start and sprinkled with the calcium powder. The guy I got them from was feeding them cantelope?? (don't know what else, he said they eat 'everything'.) I don't think they should be eating that right? I think their poor diet and their care is why the one has poor color and they have long beaks. Also the guy was keeping them on news paper and I didn't seem a uvb or heating spot at all. I'll post pics of their beaks once they're done with their breakfast. I just woke them up to feed.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, fruit (including the melon) should be a very rare treat and not much of it. In captivity we tend to feed them soft food (such as grown for humans greens), rather then the tougher more fiberous weeds they normally would eat. Then we compond the issue by cutting up their food or even by offering leaves cut off the main plant branches and stems. When they have to rip and tear their food, it wears on the beak more. Feeding on a hard surface like a flat rock, a tile or unglazed terra cotta plant water saucer will help a little.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you are already on the right track for everything. Good for you!

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Oh I didn't think about that with their food. I've been breaking it up for them. I'll just give them big leaves and stalks and all then. Also I've been feeding them on a paving stone to help with their breaks. I'm kind of nervous to trim them myself. Here's a pic of their beaks and another pic of the one I thought was female. Def looks male now that I know the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_6638.jpg
    IMG_6638.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6639.jpg
    IMG_6639.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6641.jpg
    IMG_6641.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
We got our Russians from the same guy. In fact, I bought mine from him on the 16th and actually had the one you show on the left in my box but decided on a different one as well. Both of mine are male. This same guy has a ton of Box turtles and Russians and he advertises in Dallas as a Box Turtle rescue. He is in fact, trying to create a puppy mill but with turtles. They are kept in a bed room on news paper and I suspect that when he feeds his boxies hamburger, the russians are not removed from the area. Yes he houses several spiecies together on the floor. He also had some Sulcata babies that were severly dehydrated and I am surprised they were not dead (they probably are by now)
Anyway, anyone in the Dallas area that can afford to get turtles from this guy please do and do not trade with him. Your animal will end up on craigslist before you get home!

cooky_luvs said:
Oh I didn't think about that with their food. I've been breaking it up for them. I'll just give them big leaves and stalks and all then. Also I've been feeding them on a paving stone to help with their breaks. I'm kind of nervous to trim them myself. Here's a pic of their beaks and another pic of the one I thought was female. Def looks male now that I know the difference.

One more thing. Do the Torts Hookha? lol...

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Yeah he said he gets new ones all the time. Those Sulcatta's didn't look too good when I saw them either. A tortoise mill is just a recipe for disaster :( I think the same guy is selling that really nice female of his for only $75 now. Might not be the same guy but i saw improper foods like corn and watermelon with the tortoise on news paper in the add. If you got the money she's georgous. I just picked up a female so no room for me.

Also that's my e-hookah there in the pic lol. It actually works pretty good :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I am also seeing 2 males there... I bet you can find a qualified home for one of them. :)

Are you referring to the brighter/lighter growth rings that are starting to show up? My guess is that due to lack of UVB, and improper (too rich) diet, they are growing that way... in time the melanin (dark color) will fill in there, and new, healthy growth will resume.

As far as the beaks go, i would trim or file off just the bit that is hanging down. Here is a link with instructions from my blog:
http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-trim-tortoises-beak-with-pictures.html
Or, if you don't feel comfortable trimming that, it's mild enough that you could also file it bit by bit over several weeks: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-gently-file-tortoises-beak-video.html

On a side-note: buying a bunch of tortoises from a guy who is flipping them (tortoise mill) will just encourage him to get more... if he learns that he can make money in that way, then he will just keep on doing what he's doing. I'd start posting about him in the Craigslist 'pet' section, warning folks against him, that he will flip their tortoise if relinquished to him...

Status
Not open for further replies.