My baby arrived!

rednerite

Hi all, I am new to the forum and this is only my second post! My baby Hermann's arrived this morning and looks like he is doing well but I thought I'd share photos to make sure those that know more than me think he looks good!

He came from Andrew at Arizona Tortoise Compound, all the way to Massachusetts! I gave him a little 10 minute soak upon arrival but he wanted out, and headed straight for his clover and started eating. Now he's running around exploring his new set up.

He's been eating for a total of about 20 minutes now, should I pull his food now? I've read somewhere that hatchlings should not eat for more than 20 minutes per day to ensure even growth of their shell. Please let me know! Thanks!
Tortoise hatchling.jpgTortoise 2.jpg

rednerite

Why would you let him go? This is a captive bred Hermann's Tortoise, they are not native to the United States. And why are you on a tortoise forum if you do not believe in keeping them as pets??

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I always have food available to all of my torts. In the wild they have greenery all around them that they can munch on at any given time.. I tend to follow this example. We would all love to see his enclosure!! What kind of lighting do you have?

Also he means let him go on eating. He is probably hungry from that long commute!!

rednerite

Thanks guys, I have a 100 watt UVA/UVB bulb and a CHE set up. He seems to be doing pretty well. He bobs his head an awful lot and his throat seems to puff up when breathing. From other threads it appears that this is normal?