My adoption didn't go through

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishera79

5 Year Member
Well it just seemed fishy that we had everything set up so that when I got the turtles I would pay when I picked them up. I never once spoke to you on the phone and I did expect a phone call when the arrangements had been changed instead of an email. The situation was unfortunate but I did everything on my end. I did two years of research, called hundreds of vet clinics and repaired my pen to ensure they could not escape. I sent you a lot of pics and vet info. I'm sorry but I am not willing to give out ANY account numbers so when the airline shipping option wasn't available then there was no need for me to proceed. I know people here that ship animals every so often so I could not understand why in such a big city you had a problem. I was never given the option to use a credit card or paypal. If since the arrangements had been changed if you would have been willing to work with me on a different airline shipping day or work with me on different payment methods then I wouldn't of been as leary. Now you are telling me I had these payment options and that wasn't the case per our email. You have to understand where I am coming from. I have seen people scammed by this exact same scenario. You make arrangements, the arrangements change at the last minute, the person or persons want an account number before the exchange can take place. I was upset and voiced my opinion but I did not in any way name you or your organization. And if I knew you were keeping tabs on what I was doing I would've still posted my grievances.
Many people adopt these turtles not knowing anything about them but I contacted breeders, contacted vets, signed on to this forum to see what people had to say about them and did a lot of research online. If you were in my shoes you would've done exactly the same thing as I did. It is better safe than sorry these days.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 5/14/2012 7:04:20 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: TRLI Adoption Form

That was pretty low to post you thought we were scamming you. You made it seem like we were asking for bank information, which we never would. A credit card or Pay pal were your options. You knew the cost for UPS would be more than the airline, not our fault they didn't have an NFG cargo flight to Midland that we could use. We tried. I'm sorry you were disappointed but there was no need to post such a thing and you know it. If you had decided to take just the one tortoise the shipping would not have been as high. I'm sorry you felt we were scamming you, but I assure you we are a reputable rescue and would never do such a thing. If anything we are the ones usually getting scammed!

Julie Maguire, Director
www.turtlerescues.org

I was never given the option to use a credit card or paypal. If that was the case in the beginning and not right now then I would've either used my paypal account or bought a prepaid credit card and used it.

fishera79

5 Year Member
We would ship overnight UPS, or we can ship via Southwest Airline cargo but with them we cannot make a reservation and you would have to be available for the entire afternoon so you would be able to pick them up when they arrive at the airport. It's not as convient as shipping with UPS but they would arrive same day. If you want to ship with UPS you can open a UPS account and send us your account number once you have it and we will just bill the shipping charges to you. If we ship via the airport you would pay the shipping fee when you pick them up. If you get the account set up today we would be able to ship on Monday, if via the airport we could likely get them out Monday or Tuesday.
Julie Maguire, Director
Turtle Rescue of Long Island
PO Box 359
Centereach, NY 11720
www.turtlerescues.org
Non profit 501(c)3 Tax ID # 35-2233579
Disclaimer: Advice given is not to be substituted as medical advice and veterinary care should be obtained for anysick/injured turtle.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
No problem, I can take the two 10" since when they get bigger they will be adequate for the space. I don't want to crowd anyone. Yes I know people are not aware of how big these guys will get and don't think ahead. Just let me know about shipping arrangements and I will get everything set up with UPS.

I should be able to get them to the airport Thursday morning. When we get them to the airport we will have flight info before leaving them and I can then let you know what time their flight arrives so you can pick them up. Usually about a half hour after landing. So you don't have to be there waiting around, you just have to be there to get them when they arrive at cargo. Make sure you know where the cargo facility is, it's usually at a different area than passengers. http://www.swacargo.com/swacargo/stationHours.htm#ancMaf I'll be in touch before we ship them to make sure it's still a go and that Thursday is still good for you.
Julie

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
When you say be available the entire afternoon did you mean waiting at the airport for them or just being available to pick them up ASAP? I'm just wondering so I can give my bosses a heads up. Thanks.

Hi Amber, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we have a problem. There's no cargo flight from NY to Midland that I can get the tortoises on. I'm so sorry. I only checked to make sure there was a cargo location when we were discussing shipment options but didn't even think that they wouldn't have any flights to put the tortoises on. We need an NFG flight and there are none. Looks like our only option is to ship using UPS. I really am sorry. I know you were looking forward to getting these two awesome tortoises and I really feel bad that I can't send them as planned. If you still want to go ahead we can get them out to you via UPS on Monday for Tuesday delivery if someone will be there to receive them or if you have a business address we can ship them there. Let me know what you want to do, and again, I'm very sorry.
Julie
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
Thank you.

Date: 5/7/2012 2:56:37 PM
Okay I will get the crates set up and let you know when they go and send you flight info on Thursday.
Julie
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
It is still a go. You can call me anytime at 432-352-0217. I will get there 30 minutes before they land so I can find where I'm supposed to pick them up, thank you.

Date: 5/4/2012 5:38:51 PM
I should be able to get them to the airport Thursday morning. When we get them to the airport we will have flight info before leaving them and I can then let you know what time their flight arrives so you can pick them up. Usually about a half hour after landing. So you don't have to be there waiting around, you just have to be there to get them when they arrive at cargo. Make sure you know where the cargo facility is, it's usually at a different area than passengers. http://www.swacargo.com/swacargo/stationHours.htm#ancMaf I'll be in touch before we ship them to make sure it's still a go and that Thursday is still good for you.
Julie

Ya’ll (Texan) said they’ve shipped thousands of turtles and that is also what I thought so it was suspicious to me that they didn’t know they couldn’t be shipped via airlines when they said they could. Like I said I know pet stores that ship using the airlines, I used to work in one when I was in high school in this same town. I am entitled to my opinion and if I thought it was a scam, I thought it was a scam. I’m sure other people have used this organization to adopt. I’m not questioning that. I’m just saying my EXPERIENCE was as such that I never was asked for paypal or credit card info and if anyone were in my shoes not knowing this organization they would’ve done the same. In this day and age you have to protect yourself and your information and like I said if I had I known I would’ve used my paypal or a prepaid credit card if I had that option. It was failed to be mentioned. I am sorry if I offended anyone I didn't name any names until they posted. It was another person that did. I would have been willing to pay UPS for shipping them but did not feel comfortable in the way in which I was to set up an account through UPS. $200 is not that much for two turtles but it is quite a bit to give away knowing you may not get anything in return.

TurtleRescueLI

5 Year Member
Terry, Tom and Ruthie, Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate it. As far as we are concerned this is now a closed matter. I know we are a legitimate organization, no need to further defend my actions. It's the old sayings you can't please all the people all the time and too many want it all for nothing. Time to move on.
Looks like all three tortoises already have a new home.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I am glad they all found homes. Terry and Tom, you both said exactly what I would have. It is always interesting to see how two sides of one story can be seen so differently, yet in their own way both stories have truth to them. Julie does a wonderful job and this time it just did not work out right. I think both parties have gotten their say in, so let's all just move on to other things okay?

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
At first I thought it was the OP that revealed the name, too until I went back and re-read the thread. I can see how someone might think it a scam with so many shady people out there.

I adopted a tortoise through TRLI with no problems. I paid the UPS shipping (it is VERY high for a 15# tort). I gave Julie my cc info and the receipt showed charges came directly from UPS and not TRLI. I don't want to beat a dead horse, just wanted to provide first hand info of the billing process for any other potential adopters who might read the thread.

TurtleRescueLI

5 Year Member
Thank you! Hope your tortoises are doing well!

Texastort said:
Julie is the best! No scamming going on here!

Hey Roxie, hope your tortoise is doing well. Yep, UPS is very expensive, which is why when we can we'll use Southwest, just started with them this season since Delta was a long drive into the city and much more expensive, problem is they don't ship to as many places as we need them to and not all cargo ports have NFG flights. But I am very happy that all three of those tortoises are today on thier way south! :)

Roxie said:
At first I thought it was the OP that revealed the name, too until I went back and re-read the thread. I can see how someone might think it a scam with so many shady people out there.

I adopted a tortoise through TRLI with no problems. I paid the UPS shipping (it is VERY high for a 15# tort). I gave Julie my cc info and the receipt showed charges came directly from UPS and not TRLI. I don't want to beat a dead horse, just wanted to provide first hand info of the billing process for any other potential adopters who might read the thread.

LameBMX

5 Year Member
NE Ohio
A couple more pennies on the table. I would think big city will more likely be a hindrance to transporting a large animal. Extremely low demand & excessive paranoia of liability would be the main reasons that would make it hard. Out in the small town areas, especially if they deal in other large animals, may have more shipping options with people familiar with more transportation options.

On a side note, I would love to see the UPS drivers face when I open up a box with a 50+ pound turtle before signing.

Islandsaints

5 Year Member
Knotts Island
Julie certainly was not trying to scam anyone, I can say this with the upmost confidence. Things happen, with this one it was an issue with the airline. While I feel sorry about the fact that someone else missed out on them, I am very happy to say they are here with me. ;) And shipping was VERY reasonable since I could do Southwest, it was under $100 for ALL THREE! Anyhow, I just wanted to give my support to Julie, she does a wonderful job rescuing all of the poor turtles and tortoises that others no long want and are not properly caring for.
Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.