Mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Cypress and orchid bark, for some reason in NJ, sort of dont exist. (they do, but in small pet or decorative branded packaging which drives up price). I even have trouble finding large bags of organic top soil. To fill space, I need some mulch, I cant just use all soil. We have lotsa pine mulch here, which we know we cant use. Sooooo, im runnin short on cost efficient options. I stumbled upon a bunch of hardwood mulch in Home Depot oddly enough, can someone please tell me that this is ok to use? I couldn't find where it specifies exactly what wood is used it just says hardwood. Thank you.

Tom

Attachments

• 1381079180709.jpg
    1381079180709.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 78
  • 1381079198360.jpg
    1381079198360.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 76

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I looked the product up. Their website says that they manufacture their mulch with pre-emergent herbicide preen

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Mulch

ascott said:

Hi Ang,

I can, and have the peat moss already. Im going for a bioactive substrate, so its two parts top soil one part peat. Now, i have dolomite so i can go equal parts soil and peat now.

Really, i need to add in some mulch as a filler.

mainey34 said:
I looked the product up. Their website says that they manufacture their mulch with pre-emergent herbicide preen

Lol, i havent a clue what that really means, lol. In short, is it tort safe?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Pre-emergent is a weed killer aplied to the mulch, so it kills weeds before they emerg.

Cypress mulch is available throughout the northeast. Just not every Home Depot or Lowe's will have it in stock all year. Right now is not an optimal time, they are closing out the garden areas for Xmas products.

Specialty plant nursery stores will carry small orchid bark in 2 cubic foot bags for about $15.

If you go to just one Home Depot, and ask for cypress, the summer hire help will, at best, show you what is in stock. They usually don't know more than that. No insult, I worked store 4106. Most of the people hired are friendly smiley folks with intelligence, they just dont care to do more than show you what is in stock today.

Use google maps like this. . . Zoom in on where you live, so the area is about as far as you are willing to drive to buy orchid bark or cypress mulch. Then use the search input box with words like "specialty plant nursery". Click on/highlight the fat exclamation points that are on the map. They will expand with into a dialog box with contact details.

Call them. Ask if they know where you can find large bags of orchid bark, don't ask if they have it. They will tell you it can be found in their store if they sell it. If they don't have it "no" is their honest one word answer.

There are orchid clubs, listserves, those people will know your local stores with the orchid bark for the good price.

Think outside the hide box. Leave your closed chamber.

Will

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Thanks Will, you rank up there with bestest answers ever, IMO.

Anywho, anywhere within a reasonable distance (30 or so miles), just really doesnt have cypress in large sizes. Granted, I mainly searched larger stores and garden centers. I don't mind driving far for it ,I can just grab the Jeep and a fishing pole and find a hole somewhere to toss some line into along the way, lol.

I went so far as to call some farm supply places in west Jersey, up in Sussex county. They said they can indeed get cypress..minimum order half a ton O.O Im not sure how many feet that covers, id have to call back. As large a space as I have now, perhaps its not a bad idea at this point??

Ill keep on poking about.

Tom

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
you can find a place in your backyard and throw a tarp or two over the pile, ad just go back to it as you need more. haha

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I don't know where is NJ you are. Using my own advise the first hit I got was.

Brock Farms Home & Garden World‎
4189 US Highway 9
Freehold, NJ 07728
(732) 462-2700
brockfarms.com‎

Three 2 cubic foot bags for $12.00.

I used Freehold as my google map center.

Will

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hehe, you rock! Freehold is about an hour away, so not so far. Me and my torts thank you.

Oh, im just outside NYC. North Bergen, NJ, 07047. Either way, I can drive anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.