Mud Turtles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseLover329

5 Year Member
I have been looking into getting a Mud tortoise. I have done a little research and have come up with this:
Needed:
20-40 gallon tank
uvb light
basking rock.
That's pretty much it. They don't grow more than the size of an average hand and aren't overly social which is fine. Please help me with any other information as it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know much and if you could correct me on anything above that is wrong that would be extremely helpful too.:) please and thanks. My name is Brittney and I live in southern Ontario, Canada

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Brittney, and welcome to the Forum!!

There are different types of mud turtle, but here's a link to a care sheet on Austin's turtle page. You can trust his info, and if you scroll around his sight, you might find a care sheet for the type turtle you're getting:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-mismud.htm

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Well you have the basics but your going to need a big filter, preferably one the cleans 3 times your tank size.
You also will need ALOT of plants for them to rest on because they are not good swimmers, also you will need a water conditioner if you're using tap water. And the water depth should be About 4 inches for babies and about 7 or 8 inches for adults.
Also a heater is almost necessary for hatchling and the water temp should be about 75-80 degrees for hatchlings and about 68-75 for adults. Good luck and please post some pictures when you get him/her!

Status
Not open for further replies.