Moving to Germany, can my baby cherry head come?

The G

Tort lovers, I have a baby cherryhead Red Foot (Scooter) I have had since May from a Las Vegas breeder. I just accepted a position in Germany and I really want to take her with me. I have not had much luck finding out what is needed to take her. I know of the CITES document, which I am hoping the breeder can provide to show she was not illegally smuggled into the U.S. If anyone has any advice please I need some help. Also, ways to reduce her stress would be helpful. She is my profile picture. Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I googled using my rusty school German and came up with this website
http://www.schildkroeten-online.com/cites.html

If you use the Chrome browser, it will offer to translate it from German to English for you.

The most relevant bit for you is this

"To grant an import and export licenses and the form for the import notification 12 61 32372 Minden under the order numbers 221 (approval), and 223 (import notification) can inter alia be obtained from Wilhelm Köhler Verlag, Postfach.

Please call with any questions and for the licensing of the:

Federal Agency for Nature Conservation"

I suggest you send an email to the above account and ask there. If they deal with import questions then I am sure English language will be fine. Good luck :)

Last edited:

The G

Thanks so much Joe's Mum. I did the translation, reached out to those folks, and also reached out to the breeder in the States I bought her from. I really appreciate the help. I hope I can take her with me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks so much Joe's Mum. I did the translation, reached out to those folks, and also reached out to the breeder in the States I bought her from. I really appreciate the help. I hope I can take her with me.
Let us know how you get on :)

Good luck

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, and good luck @The G . :D

Please keep us updated. :)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Welcome to Germany ;) where do you wanna stay?
It's very difficult to export animals from U.S to us but you could try it. Maybe if they see it's not commercial and only Privat they'll allow to export your animal.

The G

Let us know how you get on :)

Good luck
All, thank you for the warm comments. I wanted to give you all an update and also advice for those that are moving to Europe. JoesMum got me started in the definite right place. The folks at this organization:
Bundesamt für Naturschutz
CITES Management Authority
I 1.1
Konstantinstr. 110
53179 Bonn
Tel.: 0049/228/8491-1324
Fax: 0049/228/8491-1319
were very helpful. Gesa answered questions expeditiously and pointed me at my starting point for CONUS. All departing the U.S. you need to contact:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Division of Management Authority
MS: IA
5275 Leesburg Pike
FALLS CHURCH, VA 22041-3803

Tel: Office of the Chief: +1 (703) 358 20 93
Wildlife Trade and Conservation Branch: +1 (703) 358 20 95
Branch of Permits: 1 (800) 358 21 04 toll-free within the United States;
otherwise +1 (703) 358 21 04
Fax: Office of Chief, DMA: +1 (703) 358 22 80
Wildlife Trade and Conservation Branch: +1 (703) 358 22 98
Branch of Permits: +1 (703) 358 22 81
Email: managementauthority @ fws.gov (general/général)

I live in Virginia and gave them a call. Very helpful, I have to fill out a 3-200-46, which is on the Fish and Wildlife Service website. I contacted the breeder I purchased her from and they will also provide me with a statement of hatch date. I have to take a picture of her and once that is all done send it to Fish and Wildlife Service. They said it takes approximately 60 days to get the exportation permit. My advice is start early. I don't have a date of departure yet, but optimistically it will be around March or April. So, I should have enough time. I hope this helps. I tried to contact the German consulate here in DC, which has useful information for exporting/importing cats, dogs, and ferrets, but not so much on tortoises.

The G

Best of luck to you and your RF. Handsome looking little creature you have!
Thank you, she is a mover right now. I allow her to explore everyday to get more comfortable with her surroundings outside her terrarium.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I suggest you start researching how exactly you ship your tort to Germany now as well. Having the paperwork is one thing. Getting an airline to accept the tortoise as cargo or hand baggage is quite another!

The G

I suggest you start researching how exactly you ship your tort to Germany now as well. Having the paperwork is one thing. Getting an airline to accept the tortoise as cargo or hand baggage is quite another!
I know I have been flying over the past week and made some inquiries. I was wondering if there was a quarantine process once arriving in Germany. That is why I tried contacting the Consulate. I am hoping I can just carry her on with me. Just pack her in a container with substrate where she will feel safe. I have been talking to her a lot and letting her wander. I want her to be comfortable with me and to trust me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You probably need to speak to the contacts you have made in Germany to find out how the process works when you arrive. I suspect that sailing through the duty free lane - or even the goods to declare lane - isn't the answer. There will undoubtedly be a process to go through.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to Germany ;) where do you wanna stay?
It's very difficult to export animals from U.S to us but you could try it. Maybe if they see it's not commercial and only Privat they'll allow to export your animal.
Here in Jordan, animals are NOT allowed on public transportation, NO MATTER WHAT. :(