More questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, Ca
So I noticed that around the bottom of Rawlo's shell where the top meets the bottom, some of his little schutes are missing (i think that's what they're called). I dunno if this is a form of shell rot or if these guys shed but, he seems to burrow alot, like all the time. Which leads me to my next question... why is he burrowed all the time, if I take him out he will eat and go back. Sometimes however he will randomly walk around for like 2 hrs then go back. Just seems he doesnt come out unless I grab him out. I've got him in the 80's for humidity, high 90's for basking and 85 or so on his cool side this all seems ok from what i've read! He also wont eat any greens but loves zucchini and mushrooms, wont eat greens though. Tried repeatedly, just know it's important.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Humidity is good.High 90's is too high.85 all over the enclosure would be a lot better for him.Small redfoots spend most of their time hiding-it's what they do in the wild.You can just offer greens,and only greens. until he eats them.They can go a long time without food.It would be in his best interest to get him eating greens.The spots on his shell would be easier to understand if we had some pictures to see.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, Ca
I will post some pics when I take him out next. Yeah I had considered feeding only greens so I guess I'll just do that. What type of greens do they like best. Is romaine ok or like some type of like spring mix. Until the pics its like he's peeling off around the outside on his topside. Get pics asap.

apparently the settings in my camera are off hope you can make out whats going on... I'll get some better ones posted soon.DSCF0014.JPGDSCF0016.JPGDSCF0015.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Mine like spring mix,collards,mustard and turnip greens.I'm having trouble seeing what's going on in the pics,sorry.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, Ca
I figured, I'll see whats up with my camera and get better ones up soon. Someone suggested abrasions which seems likely, he was in a tiny enclosure before I got him.

I just pulled him out and gave him a bunch of greens and he devoured them, so i guess thats over haha.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm glad he is eating, and you got some advice about the sides in the other thread, so I am going to just second what Jackrat said before and suggest you throttle back the temps some. Also- this is tough to do with temps and humidity, but MAKE SURE there is good air flow and exchange in the habitat. Poor air quality will cause all sorts of problems, infections, and mold and mildew issues.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
He is hiding because that is what is in his nature. They know they are "prey," and instinct tells them to hide from larger beings that may eat them. It is completely normal.

I agree with cooling it down a bit. And with the shell rot problem, make double sure that your substrate is damp and not dripping wet. You should be able to pick up a handful and squeeze it and NOT be able to get any drops of water out.

Status
Not open for further replies.