Mixing Species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Is there any kind of tort that you can house with a Russian Tort? I know that its recommended to not house more then one russian with another one, but can you mix breeds at all?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Some do but most dont. You play Russian roulette (no pun intended) when you do that. Your torts may be ok or they may get a disease from the other species. It's a gamble.

Different species from different areas have different bacterias, pathogens, etc. that while having no effect on their host, may kill a different type of tortoise.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

abclements

5 Year Member
I wouldn't. The reason you don't keep pair of Russians together is they fight. Imagine what would happen to a tort that isn't programmed to fight back. It would be in utter submission and would probably end up injured or dead.

All there's the risk of differing diseases and environmental requirements That you don't really want to mess with... in the end mixing of any differing species just isn't a very good idea in captivity. You've invested a lot into your tort and I wouldn't want to risk that.

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should not be mixed for a variety of reasons, some of which were elaborated upon above.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Thanks. Ok one more question... I have read that most of the fighting is males to females- what if it were 2 males? I might just need to cave and make a second home but will have to wait a bit as I just spent $$$ on this one to have it happy :)

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

abclements

5 Year Member
Usually tort fights are male to male. (Its the alpha male mentality "I'm stronger, I get to pick the best spot and eat the most food") and males pester females cuz the want to mate. These both can be deadly if allowed to happen. If you're going to have just a pair your best bet is 2 females, but especially with Russians, this doesn't always work out either. Unless you are planning a colony, it's best to keep one Russian per enclosure. With a colony it's good to have 2 females to every male.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Wow ok. I already have a male so that might not work... Ok well for now ill enjoy my one and look to maybe get another later. I really want a baby at which time you couldn't tell the sex so it would be a guessing game.

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

abclements

5 Year Member
Ya babies are really awesome! I got my rf when he was about 3 months old and it is awesome getting to raise him.

J REED

5 Year Member
So how successfully do they breed in captivity?

Jeremy

J REED

5 Year Member
Not thay I would try it soon, just curios

Jeremy

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Mixing Species

J REED said:

Jeremy

It's one thing for a male and female to come together temporarily for breeding, then go their separate ways. It's another to house them in a small space 24/7.
Right now my 1 male and 3 females share a large pen with no issues. The radio divides his "attention"enough to offer the girls breaks.
I have future plans to give the male his own pen with a connecting door so he can spend most of the year alone.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

fiveash

5 Year Member
I have four russians liven together fine no fighting but my enclosure is also about 60 x 14 with a small pond a few hide boxes and lots of plants. Size makes a difference.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
J REED said:

Jeremy

I've been asking everyone who keeps Russians this for a couple of years now. It's just hit or miss. Some people get lots of babies and some people get none. Doesn't seem to matter what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.