Mite prevention

Johnnytuxedo

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Hello, I have a hermman tortoise that's a few months old and he lives in an outdoor enclosure. I would like to know how can I prevent mites from messing with him or her when their outside?

Thank you in advance ?

Grimmlord

Johnstown pa

Attachments

• 1052248.jpg
    1052248.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 10

Johnnytuxedo

Tampa, FL
from what i hear you can use diatomaceous earth and its good for killing insects. its 100% natural and you can feed it to your pests as well as eat it yourself lol (no joke you really can) but yea you sprinkle a light dusting around the pen on the soil and thats it. it should kill everything in that pen after 3 days for sure. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-lake-earth-diatomaceous-earth-with-calcium-bentonite-40-lb?solr=1&cm_vc=-10005&st=diatomaceous earth 40

Ur da best Grimmlord, thnks✌?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
from what i hear you can use diatomaceous earth and its good for killing insects. its 100% natural and you can feed it to your pests as well as eat it yourself lol (no joke you really can) but yea you sprinkle a light dusting around the pen on the soil and thats it. it should kill everything in that pen after 3 days for sure. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-lake-earth-diatomaceous-earth-with-calcium-bentonite-40-lb?solr=1&cm_vc=-10005&st=diatomaceous earth 40
Mites really aren't a problem for tortoises. Not any thing you need to worry about. They are not like imported snakes.

Grimmlord

Johnstown pa
Mites really aren't a problem for tortoises. Not any thing you need to worry about. They are not like imported snakes.
yes some mites arent an issue such as soil mites but there are a wide variety that are a nuisance to your setup as well as pets. i do agree that for older torts outside its not a common issue but hatchlings and indoor bioactive setups ive had some hitchhikers invest my setup.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yes some mites arent an issue such as soil mites but there are a wide variety that are a nuisance to your setup as well as pets. i do agree that for older torts outside its not a common issue but hatchlings and indoor bioactive setups ive had some hitchhikers invest my setup.
I think you are referring to phorid flies and springtails. Not mites.