Min. length of UVB lamp

Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
Hello,
Building an indoor enclosure (2), for a adult Russian (open top or closed chamber) and one for a hatchling leopard (closed chamber). I have heard a lot of dislike to UCB screw bulb type, so for that reason I will not use. I will use the long tube type.

My questions is want will be the minimum length for each enclosure?

I will keep the Russian outside when weather is permitting and bring inside at night or until weather is warmer at night here in Michigan.
As for the Leopard hatchling, I will take outside, again when weather permitting but only for supervision times (30 min ~ 2 hours) or forever I'm outside.

Also and other lighting tips would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
( yoda voice) Size matters not, hmmm UV output does, yes.
Listen to yoda.

laura106

worcester
therse a place called prestwood avaries ask for martin he will give you any advice needed

mikeh

5 Year Member
The length of the tube will depend on dimensions of the enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
therse a place called prestwood avaries ask for martin he will give you any advice needed

The OP is in Michigan. Is Prestwood Aviaries also in Michigan?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Zoomed Reptisun T5HO 5% or 10% 36" length. It will cover about 50-60% of the enclosure with UVB. Its pretty bright. No additional light needed. Additional heat source is needed as these are not heat lights.

T5HO tubes 5%UVB should be hung 12-15" above the tortoise, 10%UVB 18-20"

These tubes require specific T5HO fixtures. Zoomed sells combos.

Arcadia 12% D3+ T5HO can be hung at 22-24" if higher distance is desired, UV solar meter use is recommended with this tube.

I would burn-in the tubes for 100 hours before placing it above the animal. Especially 12%Arcadia.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because I use the florescent bulbs to make it nice and bright in there, simulating daylight (Or at least coming a little closer to daylight...) I prefer to use tubes that run the whole length of the enclosure. Remember that to get UV benefit from regular tubes they need to be 10-12" from the tortoise, unless you use the newer "HO" tubes which are brighter and will be effective from farther away. Because you will be housing them indoors and relying on these tubes to provide UV for your tortoise for most of every year, I HIGHLY recommend you get a UV meter, so you can check and adjust your levels as needed. This is just as important as a thermometer for adjusting your temperatures. I recommend this one: http://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mike has done a bunch of research on this and knows all about the currently available products. He is the guy I ask when I want to know something about UV bulbs. I'd take his advice and product recommendations. In fact I DID take his recommendations after I asked. He was able to send me a link to some places to find what I was looking for and it was a big help.