Might adopt a leopard?(:

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseppa96

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I've been thinking about buying or adopting a leopard tortoise to add to my family:) I have a red foot as of now, can anyone who owns a leopard tell me some things about them?:) I would love to hear about them straight from owners, thank you!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
All I can say is that they are one of the best tortoise's. They do not get as big as Sulcata's and do not burrow. Mine is really personable and has the cutest personality. If you do get one. Get it from Eweezyfosheezy! :D (please understand I still love Sulcata's, but if you can't get a Sulcata, Leopards are just as good)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
One of my personal favorite types of tortoise. In general they are a very attractive tortoise, mild temperament, and friendly.

What intrigues me the most is the amount of variation in the species. No two are exactly alike in terms of color and personality. Each leopard tortoise is completely unique. They're a relatively easy tortoise to care for depending on what area of the country you're in. I wouldn't place New Jersey as being an ideal area for a leopard tortoise, but there are people who make it work.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I just bought one and what attracted me to them rather than another species was their appearance, size, tendency to not burrow and the fact that they are relatively available and not overly expensive. I say buy one!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I looooove my leopard. If you get a hatchling, raise it like in the threads at the bottom of my post. Tom wrote them and also raises them and sulcatas.
My guy/gal Tatum is so cool and adorable. I can do anything with him. I kiss his face and he just sits there for as long as I want to kiss his cute little face, and even his neck and will push his head out further when I stop, like he wants me to keep doing it LOL . I also make the smacking kissing noise, he acts like he recognizes it. I can touch his legs and he doesn't care. They don't burrow, which is one of the reasons I got a leopard. I don't know about leopards in general, but mine is very clean. I have had him since May 2011 and I have never seen poop in his inside enclosure. He always goes in his soaks. The only negative thing I can say, but not really negative, they don't seem to get into a lot of exploring and trouble, like some other species. I only have one and that may or may not be the case with all of them. He does explore a little each day, but not big on being too nosey. You will love them. However the leopard and Redfoot can not be housed together. Good luck and don't forget pics if you get another tort, no matter which one you pick.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Let me add one more thing...once you buy one you will definitely want more, I know I do...as a matter a fact I want LOTS more!!

My gf just walked by and said I should go to Tortoises Anonymous! Apparently I spend a lot of time of here and if i'm not here im watching Cooper walk around her enclosure lol

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
i spent months (literally) deciding what tortoise species to get. the Leopard fit the bill for me. they get a good size, they are beautiful, not burrowers or destructive like the sullys (my friend has many and we borrowed one once to "mow our weeds" a few years ago. it ripped apart our spa, moved our central a/c unit and went through an awning post...) i shouldn't have any of that with a leo. they are only vegetarians, i didn't wanna feed bugs! eww! also my warm location in so cal means i can house outside majority of the time. hatchlings are readily available and at a fair price. if you get an older one as an adoptee expect some pyramiding. if you get one as a hatchling follow Tom's thread called The End Of Pyramiding II on how to raise one smooth.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Leopards are one of my favorite species but honestly if I wasnt in a state where it was warm for most of the year I wouldnt own them. If I was up north I would most likely only have Testudo species like russians, hermanns, and greeks because of their small size and you have the option to hibernate them for the winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jtrux said:
Let me add one more thing...once you buy one you will definitely want more, I know I do...as a matter a fact I want LOTS more!!

My gf just walked by and said I should go to Tortoises Anonymous! Apparently I spend a lot of time of here and if i'm not here im watching Cooper walk around her enclosure lol

Haha, see ya there:)

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Leopards are one of my favorite species but honestly if I wasnt in a state where it was warm for most of the year I wouldnt own them. If I was up north I would most likely only have Testudo species like russians, hermanns, and greeks because of their small size and you have the option to hibernate them for the winter.

I will totally disagree with you on that one. The northern states can provide a great home for them, as long as you can afford to heat an area for them when they are bigger. Just about everyone on here at one point or another has to bring their torts in for a period of time, or provide a warm insulated tort house. Well except Hawaii and some of the other countries members that live in forever warm areas. We may have to do it longer then some, but with some thinking and little more money then others, it can be done pretty good. Might not be the best, but then again none of us have the best in my opinion, only because we don't live where they come from. So, in my opinion, one life, get what you want, but, keep in mind to, do what you can afford:D

joseppa96

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you guys :D I would definitely love one, I might get a hatchling if I can, I have somewhere for it to live already :) I might not get him or her for awhile, but when I do, I will definitely put up pictures!

joseppa96

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Anyone know where I could buy one in the US?:) I had bought my red foot from an online breeder

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Mine isn't 2 months old yet and can be a little shy, but it's starting to warm up. Eats from my hand now.

I live in Maryland and I've seen them for sale around here, but wouldn't recommend a pet shop. You'll pay way too much since they get theirs from breeders and double the price, plus you don't know a thing about where it came from. Online is probably the best way since I doubt you'll find a breeder near Jersey.

I plan on building a large tortoise table for colder months and leaving it outside during most summer days. Right now it's in a 39 x 20" storage container.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
wellington said:
jtrux said:

Haha, see ya there:)

Eweezyfosheezy said:

I will totally disagree with you on that one. The northern states can provide a great home for them, as long as you can afford to heat an area for them when they are bigger. Just about everyone on here at one point or another has to bring their torts in for a period of time, or provide a warm insulated tort house. Well except Hawaii and some of the other countries members that live in forever warm areas. We may have to do it longer then some, but with some thinking and little more money then others, it can be done pretty good. Might not be the best, but then again none of us have the best in my opinion, only because we don't live where they come from. So, in my opinion, one life, get what you want, but, keep in mind to, do what you can afford:D

I never said people in northern states cant provide a great home for them, I just stated what I would do.

TortoiseChick24

5 Year Member
joseppa96 said:
I've been thinking about buying or adopting a leopard tortoise to add to my family:) I have a red foot as of now, can anyone who owns a leopard tell me some things about them?:) I would love to hear about them straight from owners, thank you!

From my experience they are one of the most gentle species i have come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.