Microchipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
philthyturtle said:
sorry to ask, but what does micro-chipping do?

A microchip is about the size of a grain of rice and is injected subcutaneously. It is encoded with a number and if you use a microchip scanner (much like a barcode scanner at a retail merchant) you can retrieve that number. When you microchip your animals it is your responsibility to contact the company and "register" the chip with your information (name address contact numbers). If your animal was found and was scanned for a microchip and the microchip company had current information for you; this chip could help reunite you with you pet. If your pet was stolen and you were able to locate it you could possibly use this chip to prove identity.

The only reason I would advocate microchipping is because it the off chance your tort ends up in a shelter somewhere down the road they will almost always check for a microchip; and if they can find one they will not euthanize your animal. Unfortunately they are a very passive protection plan

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I read an article recently about micro chips causing cancerous tumors to form around them in dogs. I was looking into having it done for my little sully when he gets bigger as I am an extremely possessive person. But I don't want to risk it, I don't have any chipped animals.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I have never heard of microchips causing cancer in dogs, in fact I have never seen a tumor where the microchip is placed in dogs. I have worked for many years in various hospitals and my girlfriend has worked in oncology, and has never seens this either. They are safe and the best way to find a lost pet.....all of my pets are microchipped and when morla gets big enough she will be too.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
jesst said:
They are ....... the best way to find a lost pet....

Based on what?
Does ANYBODY have a first hand experience of a tortoise being reunited with its owner because of a microchip?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Jesst, just because you or your girlfriend have never seen it, doesn't mean it never happens.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
GBtortoises said:
I think it would be great if it were more widespread. But micro chipping for security purposes is only effective if the tortoise is found or ends up in the hands of someone who knows that it may be lost or stolen. Tortoises can easily be traded and sold without ever reaching public ads.

Totally agree with ur statement,,
:)

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Weda737 that is true but after talking to many doctors on the subject they dont believe it either.....i can inly imagine that this article was found in the internet and not in a vet medical journal? Anybody can write something and post it as true on the internet......

Shelly I am only speaking from experience with dogs and cats being reunited with a microchip. I have yet to see a lost tortoise in my area

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
This might just be, because not enough tortoise owns micro-chip their pets. I know none of my pets are chipped but should be! Its all about the numbers.... those tort owners that Micro-chip may not have lost any of their torts and those that did, their lost ones where probably not picked up by the pound, either homed with new owners or gone wild. Dogs and cats run all the time and are often picked up by the pound and the pound will usualy scan these just so they can find and fine the owners... its all about the numbers!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
If a tort were turned into a rescue as found I would think they would check.

Status
Not open for further replies.