Mice eating emys phayrei??? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
They'll consume flesh in nature and captivity. My Mee does.

I, personally, would avoid going overboard with mammalian flesh. I typically just allow invertebrate protein sources in addition to their largely vegetable and fungi diet. Snails, slugs, earthworms, and isopods. Stuff like that. A pinky once in a while should not cause any harm, though.

You can see the one finishing off a pinky in that first photo.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tortoises are opportunity feeders, so they will eat whatever they can get a hold of.

gary27

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Louisiana
Whole Mice are a really good food source. I learned this from keeping a snake. They are consuming the entire bone structure which is a good source of minerals. I have a pr of 6yr old browns and and 09 black, and i feed them hoppers (young mice) every so often. Fairly cheap too. You can get a gallon bag of indivually frozen mice for $20.00 at a reptile show, enough to last a year for my tortoises........Gary

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tortoises eat carrion in the wild and gnaw on bones to gain calcium (gnaw, not eat), so I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding them in captivity. Just not very often, as the mammalian tissue and bones would not be regularly found in a wild tortoise's diet.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Make ya look at torts in a whole new light. eh??
Nay

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Nay said:
Make ya look at torts in a whole new light. eh??
Nay

Yup, hahaha..I always picture tortoises eating a big pile of veggies and greens on a bright sunny day. But this changes everything, now I can see a leopard tortoise feeding on a lion. hahahaha..Ok im exagerrating.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Redfoots love to eat meat ! ..........Mice , chicks, grubs.....

JD~:)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
SnakeyeZ said:
That's neat! I thought all tortoises were herbivores - learn something new everyday!

Only tropical forest/savanna tortoises (burmese browns/blacks, hingebacks, redfoots, yellowfoots) eat meat. Others just gnaw bones.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
SnakeyeZ said:
That's neat! I thought all tortoises were herbivores - learn something new everyday!

Only tropical forest/savanna tortoises (burmese browns/blacks, hingebacks, redfoots, yellowfoots) eat meat. Others just gnaw bones.

Really? Any Tortoise will consume carrion or any Insects/Reptiles/small Animals they can catch....Doesn't matter where they come from......Many Tortoises I've kept long term outdoors will actively hunt all types of live food, and that includes non-forest/savannah Tortoises.........

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tortoises are opportunistic feeders. If a tortoise stumbles across a carcass and decides it wants some, it will eat it.

However in captive conditions it is unwise to feed grassland/desert tortoises meat. They might be more carnivorous than we think, BUT, we don't know enough to start feeding tons of meat to any of our tortoises. Although, forest torts do go absolutely CRAZY over red wigglers....

Tortoises catching things outside is another ball park, because the tortoise is following its instinct.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
gary27 said:
Whole Mice are a really good food source. I learned this from keeping a snake. They are consuming the entire bone structure which is a good source of minerals. I have a pr of 6yr old browns and and 09 black, and i feed them hoppers (young mice) every so often. Fairly cheap too. You can get a gallon bag of indivually frozen mice for $20.00 at a reptile show, enough to last a year for my tortoises........Gary

Wow that is very interesting...

wildak

5 Year Member
My Impressa go crazy over hard boiled eggs, moose and caribou. I would`nt be suprised if they hunt mice in the wild. They can run suprisingly fast.
I can picture a pack of Impressa a million years ago taking down a caveman like Velociraptors HAHAHA.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
tortoises in the wild are known to eat meat, especially mountain tortoises, hinged backs and red footed tortoises. I feed my mountain tortoises slugs, worms not to often but they love it. They also will eat snails when they see them in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.