Meet Hector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
From the picture.. I'd be careful about him beign able to climb out.. hard to tell. But they can be great climbers.. Make the walls tall enough and block the corners. Also, Id worry about predators.. Are you going to cover it? day and night. racoons, possums, skunks, ravens etc.. all might come pick on your little guy if not protected. :)
Welcome!! and plan BIG for the future!

simple

5 Year Member
I live in the middle of Miami so there arent too many predators to worry about. He sleeps inside at night, and he chills outside during the day. The outdoor enclosure is inside a screened area in my backyard. The screen goes around a patio and the pool, (he cant get into the pool, already checked) and leads to the house. The screen has withstood hurricanes and is definitely able to keep animals out, although i have yet to see any animal out during the day except for squirrels and the occasional peacock or macaw..
Also the corners of his enclosure are capped, and the walls are about twice his height, so he cant climb out.

simple

5 Year Member
Ok so its time for a BIG update on Hector. You guys were right, the indoor enclosure idea was wayyyyy more complicated that it needed to be. Instead i set to work on his outdoor enclosure so that he can live outside full time. I will still bring him in when it gets cold or there is a storm, but for now miami weather has been great.
I made a better shelter for Hector so that it can be 100% water proof and keep him warm at night. I wanted something simple and cheap so i went to Ace and got a paint bucket for around $1.50.

I washed it thoroughly, drilled out a hole on the top for the light to go through, and then cut out a hole in the front for him to walk in through. I also bought an outdoor water proof light fixture. It is basically just the wire, plus the socket, without a reflector, which works perfectly for my purpose.
I passed the wire through the hole, and pulled the socket through until it was stuck firmly in the hole. I sealed the edge to make sure no water got in, and then i covered the whole thing in a green kitchen mat thing that i bought in a roll.
It all worked out perfectly and Hector has now been using it for about a week and he loves it. Plus it was cheap :p
GetAttachment.aspx

Hector coming out of his shelter
GetAttachment.aspx

munchin' out on spring mix
GetAttachment.aspx

Hector dramatically walking off into the sunset
GetAttachment.aspx

I also got my sulcata mix of seeds, and began growing them. Hector grazed on it today and loved it. They grew from seeds to about 2-3 inches in a matter of 5 days!
I also got a free packet of mazuri in the mail from "spike the best" (thank you!), but so far Hector doesnt seem to be interested. Is he still too young to eat it? (I break it into smaller pieces for him)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds great, and much easier than your original idea. But I can't get the pictures.:(

simple

5 Year Member
yea im not getting them either now, ill try to fix it now :)

....so that failed..I have the pics in my email but flickr wont let me upload them; even after i saved it to my computer..ill try attaching them

hector1.jpghector2.jpghector 3.jpghec4.jpghec5.jpg

hec6.jpghec7.jpghec8.jpg

ok i think it works now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Hector wandering off into the sunset" is such a pretty picture!!

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.