mazuri - is it essential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
Is mazuri essential for them to eat? Yerdel just refuses to eat it and I have been trying for months now. The other day I had it in his food he went down sniffed and walked away. I waited a while removed the mazuri and he promptly walked to his dish and ate the greens. He gets a good variety of greens everyday. So what is everyones opinions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it a good food, yes...but is it essential? no

I like to get them used to eating it so that during the winter when natural weeds and grasses are scarce, they can be fed the Mazuri.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
No processed food is essential. Some people use mazuri very successfully but there are no processed foods in the wild. A varied diet of weeds and greens are all that is necessary.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If you soak the mazuri until it's the consistancy of peanut butter, and mix well with the greens, I bet it will be eaten. No, you don't have to feed it. On the other hand, I don't think I ever heard anyone say that they used to feed it a lot, but discontinued it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am of the belief that fresh is always best. Mazuri is fine as part of a diet filled with variety, but not a "have to have" part.

Status
Not open for further replies.