(Maybe) Questionable Bulges

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've posted but Squash, my yearling red-foot tortoise, has been well and active. I was giving him/her (will just use him for now) his usual water bath and checking him out when I noticed inflating and deflating lumps on either side of his neck. I assume they are his lungs but I wanted to be sure--maybe he's overweight or something? Here are some pictures and let me know what you think. Outside of these odd, ephemeral lumps, I feed Squash every other day a mix of Mazuri, fresh-picked greens, mealworms/other viable protein (occasionally), and Zoomed forest turtle mix. He's currently at 170g and was born sometime June 2015. He's housed currently in a tub while I make design his larger enclosure. RH at +80% at all times and over 80F with a cool gradient.

IMG_6618.JPG IMG_6619.JPG

The lumps go in and out with what I assume to be his breath. Is this cause for concern?? Thanks in advance.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Lumps = Lungs

They are visible in my Redfoots as well, especially if they extend their neck or if they are struggling.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
There was a period of time where Bean would get this bulge in that area whenever he ate. Like he wasn't swallowing his food fast enough. He was constipated and it completely disappeared after he pooped a few times, don't know if that's what's happening with you though. If it's transient and comes and goes as he breathes then yeah it's just the lungs. They'll also puff out their soft tissue when they're straining to poop.