Is my tortoise sick?

AtlastheGreek

So yesterday I came home and found that my greek tortoise had vomited. It was just the squash from his salad. Today he did the same thing. He seems fine with everything else. He's not throwing up any of the greens and he's got the same energy level as usual. I took him to the vet yesterday and the vet had no clue and referred me to someone else. I'm wondering if he's just having issues processing the squash. Anyone else have this issue?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So yesterday I came home and found that my greek tortoise had vomited. It was just the squash from his salad. Today he did the same thing. He seems fine with everything else. He's not throwing up any of the greens and he's got the same energy level as usual. I took him to the vet yesterday and the vet had no clue and referred me to someone else. I'm wondering if he's just having issues processing the squash. Anyone else have this issue?
I know this is quite a bit late, but, no, I haven't had this problem. I would avoid giving the little guy any squash and see what happens.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Sorry to hear you tort is sick. :( Did you feed him anything today? How about a soak in warm water? Did the vet mention that?

Hope to hear he has recovered soon.

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure. And welcome to the forum.:D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How is Atlas ?
Hope he's okay now.
Are you sure he didn't just spit it out ?

AtlastheGreek

I took him to the vet and they kept him for two days and did all kinds of tests. The vet went over everything as far as lighting, enclosure, diet, substrate, etc. All the tests came back normal and Atlas is now on a new diet to get him back on track. So far so good! Atlas is a pet store tortoise, so I learned a lot from the vet about issues that can arise in wild caught tortoises years later.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I took him to the vet and they kept him for two days and did all kinds of tests. The vet went over everything as far as lighting, enclosure, diet, substrate, etc. All the tests came back normal and Atlas is now on a new diet to get him back on track. So far so good! Atlas is a pet store tortoise, so I learned a lot from the vet about issues that can arise in wild caught tortoises years later.
Glad to hear all is well.