Maybe Ear Abscess

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb1234

5 Year Member
Hi,

I would like to know it my start been infected by Ear Abscess?
it's there any medication before i go to vet

IMG_0325.jpg

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I am sorry Caleb, but it is very difficult to diagnose if it could be an injury or internal infection from just a photo. Some things are very clear from photos, such as, “Are my tortoises nails too long?" But something like this could be bad and not noticed in a photo but only with an examination. Is the eye below showing any more fluid discharge than the other side? Do the nostrils appear the same? Is he/she eating and drinking normal? Is the tortoises weight stable? Where is it that you live?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
From this pic, the bump appears to be below his ear area? However, it does not mean it is not an abscess...they can actually get one just about anywhere on their body, but the head area is the more common place....

Even if it is an abscess...if you are not a skilled lancer, I would not handle trying to rid it yourself.....but a qualified reptile vet would be the way to go...

caleb1234

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
I am sorry Caleb, but it is very difficult to diagnose if it could be an injury or internal infection from just a photo. Some things are very clear from photos, such as, “Are my tortoises nails too long?" But something like this could be bad and not noticed in a photo but only with an examination. Is the eye below showing any more fluid discharge than the other side? Do the nostrils appear the same? Is he/she eating and drinking normal? Is the tortoises weight stable? Where is it that you live?

Is the eye below showing any more fluid discharge than the other side?
The eyes does not seems to be discharging any fluid for now but will monitor for fuild

Do the nostrils appear the same?
The left side is bigger then the right

Is he/she eating and drinking normal? Is the tortoises weight stable?
Yes, the tortoise is eating and drinking very normally and very active for now. The weight is stable as well

Where is it that you live?
i live in malaysia

Could it's be the enclosesure it's too dry, cause sometime when i when to work, everything seem fine but when i come the enclosure humuity drop 10% ?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I would think if the enclosure were too dry, you would have other issues with your tortoise. Saying that, I encourage you to try and maintain a higher humidity level. I have what is called a Zoomed Reptifogger that comes on when the humidity drops below 50% and turns off at 60%. In the morning, I spray the enclosure with water and this increases the humidity to 95% then, during the day, as humidity levels drop, the fogger turns on automatically.
I tried to find a veterinarian near you with some experience treating tortoises and that was difficult indeed, “Arbutus West Kuala Lumpur Malaysia Animal Clinic" may be worth checking out. Also, check out local conservatories and see if they might be able to help you with this.
Sorry I was unable to help further. Please keep us up to date on how he is doing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Caleb:

It certainly does look like an abscess, however, it seems to be too low to be an ear abscess. There is no medication to make abscesses go away. They have to be lanced and cleaned out. With an abscess that is not on the ear, there may be a foreign body in there that caused the infection, so you really need the tortoise to be seen by a reptile vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.