Mating Red Footed Tortoises in Puerto Rico

dnarv

Location (City and/or State)
PUNTA SANTIAGO, PR
Hello there,

I am new to this forum but have had my female red footed box tortoise Tilly for about 10 years. Recently I adopted a mature male that I understand is 6 plus years Tony) . I have kept them separate for the time being but have introduced them recently keeping Tony outside her enclosure. They have been engaged in a mating or courtship dance and I am wondering is there a better time of the year to mate them if they are kept outside . Currently we are getting into the Summer months. Should I wait till another time of the year or can I let nature take its' course. I am reading that they populate parts of the Caribbean and mate throughout the year.

FYI :I would invest in incubator and control environment once eggs are ready to be moved .

Thanks for any input.

Gracias

David

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, David, and welcome!

I think you're naming two completely different animals. . . some BOX TURTLES have colorful legs with red or yellow spots, but they are never called red foot. REDFOOTED OR YELLOWFOOTED TORTOISES are actual tortoises, not turtles.

Since you're in South America I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you have a pair of redfooted tortoises, not turtles.

I think it would be ok to now let nature take it's course.

How 'bout posting some pictures so we're sure we're all on the same page?

dnarv

PUNTA SANTIAGO, PR
Hi, David, and welcome!

I think you're naming two completely different animals. . . some BOX TURTLES have colorful legs with red or yellow spots, but they are never called red foot. REDFOOTED OR YELLOWFOOTED TORTOISES are actual tortoises, not turtles.

Since you're in South America I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you have a pair of redfooted tortoises, not turtles.

I think it would be ok to now let nature take it's course.

How 'bout posting some pictures so we're sure we're all on the same page?

Here is photo and sorry if I wasn't clear. They are red footed box tortoises. I live in Puerto Rico in the Caribbean

Attachments

• Tilly and Tony.jpg
    Tilly and Tony.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the photo, David. Those are not referred to as "box turtles," but rather redfooted tortoises ( geochelone carbinaria).