marginated carapace

lornajean

Location (City and/or State)
Bedfordshire, UK
Hi all. We have just inherited what we think are Marginated Tortoise about 3 years old, turning 4 in August. Since October they have been fed daily and had a heat lamp but no real care and attention due to their owner dying suddenly. We have looked them over and they seem to be in good health but I wonder if anyone can tell me by looking at the photos if the carapace is ok or damaged due to lack of calcium? I have done so much research in the past few days and there seems to be lot20150407_142226.jpgs about poor diet i am now scared when they go free in the garden they might eat something and die. Also, what is their normal sleeping pattern? These guys are going to sleep at 5ish!!20150409_090704.jpg 20150409_091057.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
100% Marginated tortoises and only slightly pyramided as far as carapace goes. Continue with proper diet and hydration and you won't have any issues. Please read my care sheet at the top of this forum if you haven't already and don't hesitate to ask any questions at all.

lornajean

Bedfordshire, UK
100% Marginated tortoises and only slightly pyramided as far as carapace goes. Continue with proper diet and hydration and you won't have any issues. Please read my care sheet at the top of this forum if you haven't already and don't hesitate to ask any questions at all.
Oh brilliant thank you. I've just been reading another thread and wondered if we had a Hermanns instead but that didnt sit right with us and figured they were margs. There is paperwork for them somewhere but yet to be found. Thank you for your info. They seem to be having lots of fun at the moment

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
My avatar is one of our Western Hermann's tortoises. Westerns feature some of the richest and most vibrant yellow coloration you'll see on any species of tortoise.

lornajean

Bedfordshire, UK
Im confused about humidity levels that some people have mention and that they should be high but surely if originally from greek mountain ranges they are used to it being hot and dusty? due to the unpredictable weather in the UK they will be outside all day but inside at night during the summer as can get cold. Is it normal for one to be bigger than the other at the same age? we believe its a male and female but can post pictures later once awake. When I picked them up they were being fed a diet of lambs lettuce and their lamp was turned on at 1500 and off at 2200 on a timer. When I cleaned out the table there was evidence they had been looking after properly in their first couple of years but due to circumstances the past year has been tough. I think they're beautiful but am worried about serious damage to them.​