Manouria in Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Hi. I've kept and raised Greeks and Marginateds most of my life, and I've gotten pretty good at it. I also used to keep a colony of sulcatas, as well as a colony of redfoots, but since my father passed away, I wasn't able to keep those anymore (having to pull a half dozen, 50-100 pound sulcatas in on a nightly basis, along with five fifteen pound redfoots, was a monumental task without my father's help; also, such a large group of animals requires near constant attention, something I was unable to provide given my work schedule). Now that my brother decided to move back to the family home, and is enthusiastic in his zeal to help me with the tortoises, I've been thinking of getting into a large species again.

I must admit, ever since I first read about Manouria emys (both species), I've been utterly fascinated. The large southeast Asian tortoise with the prehistoric features that defended it's own nest from any creature foolish enough to bother it was always something I wanted to see in my backyard. However, I've read numerous sources stating that this species requires constant high humidity and that it does poorly in the heat. I live in San Antonio, which hovers around a hundred degrees Fahrenheit during the hottest part of the day. However, I have a corner of my yard that is mostly shaded by a grove of oak trees (a twenty by fifty area that used to house my red foot colony; it gets sun in the morning, with the shade coming to cover most of the area by noon), and that area only rises into the upper eighties/lower nineties, with dark and moist hiding spots in the lower eighties. I was initially considering just getting back into redfoots again, given that the large area is just so sad to look at on rainy afternoons, though the gulf coast toads that frequent my yard and the disused watering hole seem to be enjoying the space enough.

So, are these torts really that temp sensitive? Can they thrive in an environment like the one I just described? Space is no object. But I don't want to keep them in an extensive indoor setup for most of the year. I personally feel that no tortoise should be kept indoors more than twenty percent of the time, which is why I love keeping Testudo so much. But if they suffer chronic health issues as a result of the South Texas climate, I'll stop dreaming about them, but I've never found much text that addressed this particular environmental concern.

T.G.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They are temp sensitive in the beginning stages. Ounce they get larger they become more apt to withstanding our Texas temps. I keep both species outside. They are under large bois'd'arc trees and have misting systems for the hottest part of the day. It doesn't really boost the humidity much. Its more along the lines that need constant water more than humidity. Humidity is great for sure. Especially knowing where they come from. Once they hit 3-4 years old they can be outside with proper enclosure(hides, large water bowls, some filtered sunlight) but other than that. Most of the information is really leaning and more directed towards the young ones. Hatchlings in particular.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I have two emys emys almost yearlings. I know nothing about adults. I have had these for few months and from observation these guys like very warm ambient temps. Much warmer then most articles inform. At ambient 88F-92F their feet are always spread out soaking up the warmth anywhere they are. They also bask in the mornings to warm up.

They do like it humid. I observed on numerous occasions, when placed outdoors with low humidity around 40% or less and dry soil, they would find a darker corner, empty their bladder and just sit in the urine. Their eyes would also water and they would keep them shut. This makes me believe that at leat the youngsters like it humid. With higher humidity levels their acting was normal. (But perhaps this behavior could be a result of drastic humidity change they experienced when brought outside of their humid closed chamber).

This is just from observation of yearlings emys emys. You will hear from experts on adults soon.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They tend to hate hot hot temps. But it can be possible to keep them in an hot area as long as you build be enclosure right, big water dishes, almost like a shallow pond so they can soak and dunk their heads, also shade lots of shade they love shade, misting system works well creat a mini rain storm a few times a day to cool it down. Dig a hide semi underground or user ground it will help it stay cool.

As far as temps. I find them to be active when it's about 70 ambient, they will come out when it's 75-80 but anything higher they sleep in their hides. They are outdoor tho. I live in souther California and we hardly see 85-90 degrees.

Kyle

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

Oh and mine do love to bask in the early sun, between 7-8am, around 9-11am they walk around, then they sleep through the hottest part, wake up about 4 and will walk around eat, then bed time

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

Status
Not open for further replies.