Mangos are in season now

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Nothing like having some giant mango trees in an old, overgrown vacant lot a block away from home...

DSC06213.jpg

There are five big trees all of different varieties and they are having a super year after our hard winter. While I never go overboard feeding them to the red foots, they do really freak out about them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those things are SO expensive in the store. How lucky are you!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mightyclyde said:
Lucky duck! That bag of fruit would be $20 in my neck of the woods.

Yeah, here too. And what' you'd end up with is a bagful of very large pits and a few bites of fruit flesh!!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
spikethebest said:
what city are you in?

Palm Beach County, Florida.
I could have filled the bag three times over with whatever variety of mango that is in the top left of the bag. They are all over the ground under one of the trees. The others are in various stages of being ripe.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale loves those! Yvonne's right though when it comes to how much fruit you get from them, but if they were free that wouldn't matter. :D

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It would be awesome to have a Mango tree. You can purchase mangos for cheap here in so cal 3 for a dollar. But you have to go to a Hispanic super market.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
How much flesh there is compared to the seed depends on the mango type. With some of the better mangos you can cut big slabs of fruit away from the pit quite easily.
We are also getting lots of these right now from our pindo palm, Butia capitata...

DSC06214.jpg

DSC06215.jpg

These palms are native to Brazil but I am not sure if they occur where red foots do. The tortoises sure seem to like these too but not as much as the mangos. The pindo palm fruit is incredibly fragrant but contains a large seed so my wife just makes a bunch of KILLER jelly from them. One of the other names for this palm is jelly palm. A very cool plant.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Thank you Carl! Just what I need another fruit to try out that I have never saw in any store around here. :D :rolleyes::p

kfb

5 Year Member
Arizona
not sure if you can find something like this in your neck of the woods (all of your necks) but we joined boutifulbaskets.org a while back and you get a huge amount of fresh fruits and vegetables for $15. We were never able to eat it all in two weeks but now that we have Shelly (Sulcata Tort) we may have to start going every week. Might be worth looking around for a food co-op in your area. I think bountiful baskets is only in Arizona.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would not recommend feeding that much fruit to a Sulcata, personally. Redfoots and other forest tortoises eat a bit more fruit than the grazers do.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Wow! mangos galore! I love mangos, so sweet and tastey. i have never seen those small one, though! very interesting.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tho it does at time seem almost like it's all seed/no fruit for the work, I like to then give the mango seed to somebody to gnaw the fruit off of. I think of them as a natural to be abrasive on those beaks, especially with so many hingebacks getting a majority of their food sources from relatively soft items. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.