Male vs Female Sullies?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
So I was wondering..
Why are female sulcatad selling for so much more than males?
I have seen MANY ads and females are usually 2 to 3 times more expensive.
Is there a reason why?
I'm just curious :p:D:p:D
Thanks!

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Females produce babies. They can lay clutches of 40 eggs anywhere from $30-$75 an egg. It adds up. Breeders only need one male to every 4 females. Supply and demand factor. As far as pets go though I'd recommend a male.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
This is the same reason hunting laws are the way they are. Males of the specie being the hunted. One male can impregnate multiple females, but a female breeds only once a year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
and there are SO many more males.....

I don't think this is the case. Its just that females get along fine most of the time where males want to kill each other and have to be separated. Also, because of the egg laying potential, people want to part with females less often.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Even though I have two male siblings, I wouldn't want it any other way. I would have had to separate them either way because the male would want to mate with the sister, and that's a no no. Now, I don't have to worry about babies popping up from out of the ground like these guys had. Now, I also have a rescue that has a lot of health issues. She's so much better now, and she's growing. I have to protect her from my brutes because they can kill her. She's not going to get as large as she would have under normal circumstances. So, that's another one that will have to be separated. For all I know, she may turn out to be another male. Oy, it seems like there are more males, don't it?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Interesting! I'm not looking to diversify my group, I was just wondering why it's so much rarer to see females for sale :D:D
Thanks for all the replies! I feel like I learn so much every time I come on here!