Male Sulcata's being aggressive to other males

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregUnd

5 Year Member
At what point to male sulcata's become agressive to eachother? I'm seriously considering getting another sulcata, or a leopard, but I'd hate to come home and find the other beat up or even worse, dead. My sulcata is only a month and a half old so I have no idea what the sex of it is.

Thanks,
Greg

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Aggression like you are talking about doesn't occur (and sometimes won't) until much older, usually close to the age of sexual maturity. My question to you would be in several years when they are much larger and their was a problem, as you ended up with 2 males, do you have the room/ability to house them separately? Honestly, girls can be aggressive too and it all depends on the individual Sulcata in general. I have adult Sulcatas and have a female Sulcata that is the sweetest girl ever. She wouldn't harm a fly, then a have another one that is the same size and weight and she's super sassy and will but heads with everyone. Even after a couple years together, she has by now calmed down, but I still have to watch her. There's a guy here that owns D and M Reptile Rehabiliation and Rescue and he houses 8 males together and 2 females. The area is extremely small for their needs, probably 30 by 20 and although I have only visited his area, he says they do great together. Sometimes I hear they will have a quarrel for a week and then it's over. Then I hear of people who have two adult males and there is no way they can be housed together. I read a prior post that someone else felt they do much better in a trio.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is often a crap shoot, sometimes they will fight other times they won't. The problem is that aggression usually won't show until they are nice big males, and then you have to decide on whether to separate or re home.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i have two large males together.. they came to me that way.. they do fight a bit.. thier day area is 60x 100 or so.. so they can get away from each other, and do.. but they retire each nght together in the same hut..
If they got in with my smaller males, i think they would kill them.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I know many people have a lot less trouble with aggression when they were raised together (but that doesn't guarantee anything). Just more info for you to make a decision.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would just add that I have seen aggression in smaller ones too, its just not as typical. Often in the smaller ones more subtle bullying occurs and one can be deterred from eating or basking enough just by the presence of the other. This doesn't usually happen with smaller ones, but it can.

By the way I, and many others strongly recommend against mixing species, like leopards and sulcatas. A pair of adult male sulcatas very rarely works out, but as Laura noted, there are exceptions. Like Christy, I have seen them somewhat peacefully coexist in larger groups on occasion too. However, I've also seen one male assassinate all the other males in a group over time. Generally it does go better in trios or more. Pairs of any age or sex are often problematic.

Here are the main points: Its safer to house them individually. No matter what, it IS a risk you take when you put two or more together of any age. Many people house them in pairs and groups and sometimes it works out, but sometimes it doesn't. If you decide to get another one, just be ready, willing and able to separate them at any time.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They Will Boss Each other Around, Once They Get Comfortable with Eachother, So Be Careful!
Or Just Separate Them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.