male bullying female

babushka8

hi! I've had my russian tortoise female for over a year and a half, and just recently brought home my family friends tortoise because they were showing the signs of courtship (bobbing head, biting front arms, even mounting, ect) but recently the male tortoise, Toby, has been biting on my female's, Babushka, shell. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390338495.530628.jpg although this picture is low quality, an indent is still shown. What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Having two russians in the same indoor habitat seldom works out. They just don't get along in indoor habitats. If you have a really large outdoor habitat it might work, but indoors, no. There's no magic pill. The only recourse is to separate them. Two completely different habitats. They will NEVER get along together indoors.

Look at it this way: Tortoises are territorial, just like lions are and elephants are, etc. When a different tortoise enters the existing tortoise's territory, he has to chase the intruder away. Not matter what. That's just their nature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. A single female with a male will be hounded to death by the male. He'll chase her around trying to mate with her all day long. He'll bite her front legs, her eyelids, and anything he can get his mouth on.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
That or get like 3 more females :D
I'm mostly kidding, unless you plan to make a bigger cage.