Magical Times in First Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
On a high note (literally) the students came in from lunch/recess on Monday and told me they had seen an eagle. That is not too uncommon in this area, so I was pleased but not ecstatic. Much later, as I was leaving work, I saw that the bald eagle was sitting about 30 feet off the ground in a fir tree kitty-corner from my school. Awesome! Magical! (The tree is close to a light pole, so has the branches on that side removed, making it easy to see the eagle.)

The week went on from there: On Tuesday, two boys from the other first grade class rode the bus to school, then decided to go looking for bears. They took off up the street. Their teacher had no idea they had even been at school, so she just marked them absent and went on with her morning. When the school secretary called the parents to see why they weren't at school, it started a round of student interviews and a police search. The boys were found blocks away from school, one street away from the mountain, in an area where there have been six Mountain Lion sightings in the past month. They had no idea how much trouble they were in!!! When the instigator was asked what they were planning to do when they got hungry, he said they were going to eat a deer or whatever was out there. Do they think they have super powers??

My class didn't want to be outdone by those other first graders, so this morning one of my boys licked the retired train engine in the park where his bus stop is. It was only 8 degrees out, so he stuck and good. The kids went to his house to get help but no one answered the door. One of the high school girls waiting for the bus call 911 on her cell phone, and the hospital is right there so he got help pretty quickly. At school our morning started with the kids' reports about the incident, but we didn't know for sure where the little guy was. As the office secretary was dialing his mother, she got a call from the ER, letting her know where he was. He arrived at school about half an hour late, with some sore spots on his tongue.

I'm telling you, first grade is just a special time for kids!!:D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Gotta love them Edna! I bet those parents were worried sick!!

I work with kindergarteners!! Everyday is an adventure!! And they do say the darndest things! I am looking forward to 2 weeks off, how about you?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
TortyQueen said:
On a high note (literally) the students came in from lunch/recess on Monday and told me they had seen an eagle. That is not too uncommon in this area, so I was pleased but not ecstatic. Much later, as I was leaving work, I saw that the bald eagle was sitting about 30 feet off the ground in a fir tree kitty-corner from my school. Awesome! Magical! (The tree is close to a light pole, so has the branches on that side removed, making it easy to see the eagle.)

The week went on from there: On Tuesday, two boys from the other first grade class rode the bus to school, then decided to go looking for bears. They took off up the street. Their teacher had no idea they had even been at school, so she just marked them absent and went on with her morning. When the school secretary called the parents to see why they weren't at school, it started a round of student interviews and a police search. The boys were found blocks away from school, one street away from the mountain, in an area where there have been six Mountain Lion sightings in the past month. They had no idea how much trouble they were in!!! When the instigator was asked what they were planning to do when they got hungry, he said they were going to eat a deer or whatever was out there. Do they think they have super powers??

My class didn't want to be outdone by those other first graders, so this morning one of my boys licked the retired train engine in the park where his bus stop is. It was only 8 degrees out, so he stuck and good. The kids went to his house to get help but no one answered the door. One of the high school girls waiting for the bus call 911 on her cell phone, and the hospital is right there so he got help pretty quickly. At school our morning started with the kids' reports about the incident, but we didn't know for sure where the little guy was. As the office secretary was dialing his mother, she got a call from the ER, letting her know where he was. He arrived at school about half an hour late, with some sore spots on his tongue.

I'm telling you, first grade is just a special time for kids!!:D

I'm sitting here laughing while I read about the first graders, and thinking of so many memories of mine with my 5 boys. Something like that was just a normal day for me. :D

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I love the stories, I work at the elementary level too! They are so cute, and do think they have super powers ;D

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Too funny! Great stories. If that was only one week, you will need to save them all and write a book...lol.

The Christmas Story came to mind with the train incident. "I dare you!" I can just picture the poor kid stuck there by his tongue... lol.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Oh God bless you. I do not handle large group of kids that young very well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well I know when I get hungry I just walk into the wood and take a big old bite out of a deer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
David...we can always count on you, huh?:p

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Today was our magical Christmas party in the class, last day before Christmas break. We watched "Olive, the Other Reindeer," ate a cupcake, and opened a few presents. I got boxes of 96 crayons for all of the kids, a parent brought them each a stained glass-type coloring page with markers, and another parent brought them each a goodie bag with chocolates and balloons. It was noisy, messy, and chaotic, but the children told me it was the best party they ever had. I love they way they live in the moment!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Thank you for sharing and reminding me of that special time in my children's lives. Needed that the reminded of how fast things change and every stage will someday make for a funny memory.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter is a cafeteria worker at an elementary school. Some of the cutest and most heart warming stories that she tells are about the special ed kids. They are so innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.