M y Russian After A Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've had her a week now,One of the neatest torts I have ever seen.She eats everything from the yard,she had her first cactus bloom and green fruit today,and loved it, she also ate 2 types of plantain, mulberry and grape leaves, dandelion, thistle, clover and yard grasses,haven't offered any succulents yet but will soon. She is not pacing constantly any more, settled in some I guess, I started building her outdoor enclosure Sunday, It is 6x12 feet, using vinyl siding and soffet material reinforced with stripes cut from 2x6's lengthwise around the top inside edge. I know I am going to get at least one more at a later date, (when I see one that I just gotta have). She looks the same as last week, but I see her in a different way now. She is my second new species of tortoise(for me to keep) this year and I think they are both great choices.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
She has hit the jackpot living with you!

(be careful about getting a second one, they tolerate each other at best, fight or intimidate at the worst. they are so cute by themselves, lol).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
She is lovely :)

Lynne is right though, think carefully before getting another.

Any new tort must be kept in quarantine, entirely separate from yours, for a good 6 months to minimise the risks of them making each other ill.

Russians in the wild are solitary creatures, roaming great distances. They mate in passing and move on. They don't get lonely or want company.

Regardless of gender, in captivity, as they start to mature they defend food and territory aggressively leading butting, biting and blood loss. A male's approach to romance is also this aggressive. The subordinate tort becomes withdrawn and can become ill and die if they are not separated quickly.

Groups of 3 or more may work in a large area like a garden with plenty of places to hide away from attention.

You should only get another if you can keep it entirely separately and are prepared to accept that this may have to be on a permanent basis.

They look so cute when they are small, but we have to take care not to project human emotions on to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.