Lost in Yucaipa, Ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yucaipa, CA
Long story short LOL I hope ;)

July 2nd -- In a 2 hour window, we noticed one of our DT's (Raph) wasn't in our backyard any more - then we found that he dug under the fence and got out.

Extensive search by my wife and myself, Posts on Craigslist, Flyers up all around the neighborhood, even some door to door, all with no luck.

My wife got an email a few days ago from the Prez of the CTTC Inland Empire chapter stating that someone brought in Raph to their July meeting, explaining that they found him wandering a Mobilehome park (we have 1 next door and 1 directly behind us) and another member of the chapter took Raph with her. The Prez of the CTTC Inland Empire chapter explained in the email that she was trying to find out who this person was that Found Raph and or the person that took Raph home but so far no luck.

My wife and I have plans to attend the August meeting with pictures of our DTs to pass around, we are even bringing April with us for tagging and registration.

I'm hoping someone on here was at the July meeting? Maybe knows the person that found Raph, or even the person that took Raph?

The Prez of the CTTC Inland Empire chapter has our phone numbers and address.

Hope to get some info soon, we miss Raph, and April has been way too depressed since he ran away.

Thank you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You serious? Why would the club not have somebody "in charge" of animals brought to the meeting to be rehomed and then keep records of such a thing? That sounds very lax and not very professional (for lack of a better term).

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
I agree completely! When my wife shared the email with me at first I was very relieved as we haven't stopped looking for Raph! But then I was quite upset that they would just hand him off to someone else and not have any kind of record of it.

I mean I understand that it was a meeting and don't have accomodations for any animals brought in, and other members helping out by housing the animal until the owners are found, I would take a lost turtle/tortoise in a heartbeat to keep them safe and homed until the owner was found, but I would expect all members at the meeting to know "I" had the animal and they would all have my phone number that is for sure.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I was at that meeting, and I don't remember anyone talking about finding or rehoming a DT. I walked around and didnt see any in a box or anything. Are you talking about the chapter that meets in Redlands at the museum? There were 2 very large females at the Chino meeting that were adopted. (Not to say it couldn't have happened before I got there. I can text another guy I know that was there too and see if he remembers anything like that.

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Hi kimber_lee_314,

Thank you very much for replying to this post. I just had my wife forward me the email she recieved a few days ago, here it is

A lost tortoise was found in Yucaipa walking around in a mobile home park at the beginning of the month and it was brought to our monthly Chapter meeting. The lady who brought it in asked for me and was misinformed that I would not be around until much later in the evening and the second lady took the animal. We have not been able to trace the animal, it appears that the lady who took the tortoise was not a cub member, we are still trying to trace the animal. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact the lady who found the animal only to receive a phone message that everything was OK, that the original owner had their animal back. I am still looking into the situation. It would help if I had some addresses. I am sorry about your loss, we can become surprisingly attached to our hard shelled friends. Yours sincerely Monica Dirac, Presdent IE Chapter

Unfortunately my posts require moderation so I hope you get to see this soon.

Thanks again,
~Sam

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I talked to my friend who was also there and he doesn't remember anything being announced about a desert tortoise. Of course, all of this may have been talked about with just a few members - not the whole club. My friend suggested you do what you already have planned - show up at the next meeting with a picture and ask around. I will be there so we can say hello. :)

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Sounds great! Can't wait to meet some of you!

I know posting here was a bit of a long shot but you never know lol

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Has anyone heard of a Turtle/Tortoise Rescue in Moreno Valley, CA??

What about this place -- http://www.facebook.com/TurtleSaversNLoversOfCalifornia

They just posted a new picture of a DT attached below -- I did a screen capture

Raph.JPG

Which looks alot like our missing DT in this pic (from my hello post)

5Nf5Q45F73E63Ld3Jec798ae4020e341019a5.jpg

Am I going crazy? Or are they the same DT??

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
That link is dead... seems like they killed the page. But you're right, they look extremely similar. It's hard to line them up perfectly because they're at two different angles but even the uneven front scute looks right. I also found a few craigslist links referencing that name, but the ad has been deleted by its author. They're dated July 9th and 10th on google. Sounds like they are starting a "business" that "takes in" "unwanted" or "hurt" turtles of all kinds but "I do not buy them." Here is the text I could scrape from the google ad, maybe you could contact craigstlist and get full text? I'm sure they keep a record.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pet/3131448113.html
PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE I TAKE UNWANTED OR HURT TURTLES OF ALL KIND BUT I DO NOT BUY THEM PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bfs/3127512067.html
On a side note, I find it completely ridiculous that they just give the tortoise to a non-member and don't bother to collect any contact information.

Hey, check this out:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pet/3113307994.html

Attachments

• 5N85F55H63G33Le3N4c7a0e9462131b5d18a5.jpeg
    5N85F55H63G33Le3N4c7a0e9462131b5d18a5.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 5Na5F45Jb3E43N43H4c7ad0feb78c3fbd1f83.jpeg
    5Na5F45Jb3E43N43H4c7ad0feb78c3fbd1f83.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 44

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
They seem to have removed their Facebook, Craigslist ads, and website.

I'm just going to have to get the Dept of Wildlife involved.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Have you tried calling their number? Maybe they'll be very pleasant about it.

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Only through Email -- last night we had a long discussion. I even linked this very thread in an email to this person. They claim that they rescued the DT from San Diego somewhere and that it was tagged. But they would not provide me with any specifics so that I could verify.

Now that was last night. Then this morning, they are gone? Removed all evidence of their existance from the internet? Something smells fishy.

As far as that Bobbie person, yes my wife has talked with them numerous times so far. They also claim to have gotten their DT from some far away place and its tagged.

I just don't understand what is wrong with people

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
If you don't mind me asking, who was the person you had a conversation with last night via email? I recall someone named Terry also using that number that Bobbie used.

And yes, it's very suspicious that as soon as you contact them they took down their page and all of their craigslist ads. But they're silly to think that they're in the clear now.

Just to clarify, is it possible that this bobbie person is the person who put up the turtle savers and lovers page? Or is their partner's doing? Or am I completely off point?

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Hey, right now anything is possible LOL

I was talking with the person (Phillip I believe is his name) from the Facebook/Website

My wife has been talking with Bobbie (and her mother) over the last few days.

At this point I don't think they are related in any way. But not 100% sure.

The IE CTTC chapter meets at a local Museum, my wife and I will be going, and also will be requesting the parking lot video surveillance to hopefully get this persons picture and possible license plate # so that we can pursue this with the authorities.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Sounds like a solid plan. I've sent an email off to craigslist to get the text of those two deleted ads I posted earlier. Hopefully craigslist will come through. I'll let you know as soon as I learn anything.

bonehead

5 Year Member
california
SamB said:
Only through Email -- last night we had a long discussion. I even linked this very thread in an email to this person. They claim that they rescued the DT from San Diego somewhere and that it was tagged. But they would not provide me with any specifics so that I could verify.

Now that was last night. Then this morning, they are gone? Removed all evidence of their existance from the internet? Something smells fishy.

As far as that Bobbie person, yes my wife has talked with them numerous times so far. They also claim to have gotten their DT from some far away place and its tagged.

I just don't understand what is wrong with people

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Bonehead, welcome. Did you want to add something? Also could you please go to the introduction area and tell us a bit about yourself.

This entire thing just keep getting more strange and complicated all the time. I have my fingers crossed that you can unravel this mystery and get him back home safe and sound.

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
So all links, screen captures, messages, pics, phone numbers, names, etc etc have been turned over

April is getting tagged tonight

Phone call put into the Museum for the surveillance tapes (if any)

Going to the meeting tonight, so lets see what happens.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Good luck, and please keep us updated. We hope Raph gets home safe and sound soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.