Look what I found! (new picture 8/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Went out to put the young tortoises, check on the bigger ones and make sure the roos were ready for bed...well, my oldster Leopard tort, Tortolini was digging to lay and my young female red kangaroo came up to say hello, well...look what I found in her pouch.

DSC04763.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
RE: Look what I found!

Wow :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW

aaawwwww!!!

Now THAT is too cool Doc.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas

For those wondering, the baby is about 1 1/2" long and I'm going to try to get a picture once a week and update his/her growth until we pull her for handfeeding in about 5 months.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

How did you find that itty bitty thing in there? How amazing! I hope you can keep posting pictures so we can watch her/him grow.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas

This is her first and mine....I raised mama (Ginger Roogers) from about 4 months old.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona

I have never seen anything like this and am absolutely amazed!! How did you know it was there? I always thought they just stayed in there hidden until they were ready to come out. Please tell us more....

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

You have a kangaroo?! Nice!! How big? How many? Do you own both the dam and the sire, or did you borrow the sire from someone else?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

Awesome :) You should have your own TV show Dr Todd's Wild Kingdom:D

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas

I have both the boomer (male) and the flyer (female) and I bottle raised both in my house and spent countless hours handfeeding and nurturing them both. Females tend to stay sweet throughout their life and males...well, boys can be boys and they can be very dangerous, especially if they have no fear. My male, Teddy Roooosevelt, is no exception and though sweet most of the time, he like to try to fight with me when he gets the chance. I discourage confrontations by walking away....or jogging,...or running, depending on how he is acting..and he's only a youngster. The joey can easily be felt in the pouch by gently placing your hand on the outside of the pouch and when I felt that tell-tale bump, my heart started racing.
A little about kangaroo reproduction: In the male, the testicles are located at about the heighth of the belly button (umbilicus) on other animals.....always makes me think of that classic line in "There's Something About Mary" when the stepfather yells, "Well how the hell did he get the beans above the frank in the first place?!" The female, after breeding, gets pregnant with twins, now that's not unusual, but she has two separate uteruses with separate cervices. About 21 days, after fertilization, one of the embryos (about the size of a peanut) is "born" and crawls up and into the pouch via a path that momma licks from the vagina to the pouch. The second baby goes into "suspended animation" or diapause and ceases to grow. This baby crawling to the pouch has no eyes, no nothing other than a mouth and two almost microscopic arm buds...talk about will to live. Once inside the pouch, the baby has two nipples to choose from...one is about 1/4 the size of the baby and the other is about 3x the size the baby. The baby hooks up to the smaller nipple and remains attached to it until it "outgrows" it at which time it lets go and attaches to the the other. During the first three to four months, the baby remains permanently attached to these nipples...never letting go. Now for some important "roo milk facts", the smallest nipple produces a very specific milk to help the baby quadruple it's grown in the very first week or two of like and continues until approximately 40% of the joey's pouch life has gone by then it changes it's milk composition until the joey reaches about 60% of it's pouch life. At that time, it disconnects from the first nippe and move the longer nipple that is making a totally different recipe of milk and continues until the baby reaches a point at about 70% of it's pouch life and the milk changes again to it's final formula. When the baby leaves the pouch for good at about 9 months and start spending more and more time out of the pouch, but is still actively nursing....the second baby is born and follows the same saliva path to the short nipple, which is now producing the original recipe of milk. Talk about multi-tasking, two nipples and two totally different formulas of milk...it amazes me everytime I think about it. Following this scheme, a flyer will have 3 babies every two years. Hope you all enjoyed the info. Doc

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV

wow never seen that lol :D and you can keep pet kangaroos ???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

AW, so, so cute!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Wow simply amazing

DocNezzy

5 Year Member

Did not know that about kangaroo reproduction. Very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.