Long Soaks

W Shaw

I've seen people recommending 20-30 minute soaks, and it seems to be the standard. When I put Ronan in the bath, he eliminates within 10 minutes at most, and that's if I zip him into the bath immediately after I catch him pooping. so I have to take him out. How do others manage this issue? Do most tortoises take longer to eliminate? Now that he's okay with soaking I soak him almost every night, to make up for the short soaks.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I either freshen up the water after a poop, or just walk away and come back later to clean up. Its okay either way. The duration is not critical. Exposure to the water does many things and 20-30 minutes is just a good general recommendation. 10 minutes is probably enough and 60 minutes is probably not too long.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The soaks are not just to make them poop. It's also for hydration. I do mine in tubs that fit in my basement slop sink. When they poop, I dump it in the sink and refill.
When I had just one leopard and he was little, I did his soaks in my bathroom sink. He pooped and I would open the drain and fill with fresh warm water again, over and over until he soaked long enough.

W Shaw

I either freshen up the water after a poop, or just walk away and come back later to clean up. Its okay either way. The duration is not critical. Exposure to the water does many things and 20-30 minutes is just a good general recommendation. 10 minutes is probably enough and 60 minutes is probably not too long.

That makes sense. Thanks.

W Shaw

The soaks are not just to make them poop. It's also for hydration. I do mine in tubs that fit in my basement slop sink. When they poop, I dump it in the sink and refill.
When I had just one leopard and he was little, I did his soaks in my bathroom sink. He pooped and I would open the drain and fill with fresh warm water again, over and over until he soaked long enough.
That sounds convenient! I wonder if Ronan would like the sink. I don't need to soak him to get him to poop. He's always been nice and regular -- always poops while he's eating -- so it's just for hydration. I just don't want him to let him sit in his own "stuff," but I want to make sure he's getting sufficiently hydrated. Since I took his original dish away (it was dangerous) he has never been willing to drink from any other dish, so he needs lots of soaking. He always has water in his enclosure but he won't touch it.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That sounds convenient! I wonder if Ronan would like the sink. I don't need to soak him to get him to poop. He's always been nice and regular -- always poops while he's eating -- so it's just for hydration. I just don't want him to let him sit in his own "stuff," but I want to make sure he's getting sufficiently hydrated. Since I took his original dish away (it was dangerous) he has never been willing to drink from any other dish, so he needs lots of soaking. He always has water in his enclosure but he won't touch it.
Maybe try another type of dish? Maybe a safe one but made out of the same material as the one he did like? Also if the dangerous one was the ramp one, maybe adding some stones to the bottom of it, which would make it shallower and lowering it into the substrate more would make it safer? @Tom do you think this (above) would make those type dishes safer?

Randi

Canada
I came home from work to find mine flipped upside down in her water dish with her head submerged last year. She ended up doing great after this incident. I added large flat stones to raise up the bottom, as suggested, and never had an issue again. She did not like any other dishes, so being able to keep the original dish after adding the pebbles worked out nicely. I've actually upgraded the dish numerous times since and never had another issue. I think adding large flat stones would make a big difference. Best of luck to you and yours.

W Shaw

I came home from work to find mine flipped upside down in her water dish with her head submerged last year. She ended up doing great after this incident. I added large flat stones to raise up the bottom, as suggested, and never had an issue again. She did not like any other dishes, so being able to keep the original dish after adding the pebbles worked out nicely. I've actually upgraded the dish numerous times since and never had another issue. I think adding large flat stones would make a big difference. Best of luck to you and yours.
Maybe try another type of dish? Maybe a safe one but made out of the same material as the one he did like? Also if the dangerous one was the ramp one, maybe adding some stones to the bottom of it, which would make it shallower and lowering it into the substrate more would make it safer? @Tom do you think this (above) would make those type dishes safer?

That's a thought... I know they make similar dishes of the same material that aren't as steep and dangerous. When he had his ramp dish I had read that tortoises flip themselves over in the wild too, and that healthy tortoises can always right themselves. Having read the flipping horror stories here, I'm afraid of the ramp dish even if it's shallower -- what if he flipped trying to climb the ramp? Eek. Hadn't thought about the material though. Maybe he just doesn't like the way the replacements feel. He is fussy about surfaces. If a surface is unfamiliar (like carpet) he picks his feet up and won't walk on it. Maybe the new dishes have all felt creepy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't like making my enclosures with things that they can flip on either. I would try a new dish.

Randi

Canada
That's a thought... I know they make similar dishes of the same material that aren't as steep and dangerous. When he had his ramp dish I had read that tortoises flip themselves over in the wild too, and that healthy tortoises can always right themselves. Having read the flipping horror stories here, I'm afraid of the ramp dish even if it's shallower -- what if he flipped trying to climb the ramp? Eek. Hadn't thought about the material though. Maybe he just doesn't like the way the replacements feel. He is fussy about surfaces. If a surface is unfamiliar (like carpet) he picks his feet up and won't walk on it. Maybe the new dishes have all felt creepy.
You just said the magic word - steep. Too deep to get a good footing on it while going in or exiting - once I added the stones, the depth was perfect. I see you mentioned that you have a ramp with your water dish. I would be leery of adding that dish back to the enclosure. I'd buy a terra cotta saucer. That's what I use currently - about 15" in diameter and about 2" to 3" deep (I do not fill it up this much, the water is about an inch to an inch and a half tall when filled). The material that's used seems to prevent slips and falls. Mine gets in and out with ease.

W Shaw

You just said the magic word - steep. Too deep to get a good footing on it while going in or exiting - once I added the stones, the depth was perfect. I see you mentioned that you have a ramp with your water dish. I would be leery of adding that dish back to the enclosure. I'd buy a terra cotta saucer. That's what I use currently - about 15" in diameter and about 2" to 3" deep (I do not fill it up this much, the water is about an inch to an inch and a half tall when filled). The material that's used seems to prevent slips and falls. Mine gets in and out with ease.
That's what I was using after the ramp bowl, (a little smaller and only about 1 1/2" deep) but I didn't like it because the water seeps gradually through it, leaving wet substrate underneath. On the other hand -- I've noticed some dry skin since I took it out, so maybe the damp substrate was keeping the humidity at a good level. Just need to get through the winter, I guess until terra cotta is available again and try a better one. I liked the rough texture of the one he had, but glazed may be a better option.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's what I was using after the ramp bowl, (a little smaller and only about 1 1/2" deep) but I didn't like it because the water seeps gradually through it, leaving wet substrate underneath. On the other hand -- I've noticed some dry skin since I took it out, so maybe the damp substrate was keeping the humidity at a good level. Just need to get through the winter, I guess until terra cotta is available again and try a better one. I liked the rough texture of the one he had, but glazed may be a better option.

I've bought dozens of the terra cotta saucers over the years. They are so cheap, that I just buy new ones for any new tortoises, rather than risk and possible disease or parasite transmission. I've had only two that were seepers. Are they seasonal where you are? I just bought two new ones at Lowes two days ago.

W Shaw

I've bought dozens of the terra cotta saucers over the years. They are so cheap, that I just buy new ones for any new tortoises, rather than risk and possible disease or parasite transmission. I've had only two that were seepers. Are they seasonal where you are? I just bought two new ones at Lowes two days ago.

Totally seasonal. I even went to nurseries and they said, "If you'd come in a month ago...). I went on Amazon (which is how I ended up with the bad one). Haven't tried Lowes, but if they have an online presence that's my next stop. We don't have one locally, so they hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for the tip!

Randi

Canada
Where are you located? I live in Alberta, Canada - Edmonton specifically and we currently have snow and will until next year, but the stores still have their garden supplies out. They even have their indoor gardens open, full of plants. I just upgraded the size of dish about two to three weeks ago. I'm just wondering where you're located, it may explain why the stores are no longer carrying supplies like this.

W Shaw

Where are you located? I live in Alberta, Canada - Edmonton specifically and we currently have snow and will until next year, but the stores still have their garden supplies out. They even have their indoor gardens open, full of plants. I just upgraded the size of dish about two to three weeks ago. I'm just wondering where you're located, it may explain why the stores are no longer carrying supplies like this.
I'm in Central Washington. What happens here is, around November, all the stores get rid of their garden stuff and turn the gardening area into the Christmas area. By the time I found out (fortunately from members here and not from an accident!) that I needed a new dish, I was SOL for gardening supplies. Maybe in the cities it's different.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I pick up saucers at thrift stores year round - it's worth taking a look.