Localities of erosas

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Hoping Kelly and Jacqui may be able to help with this but just interested. From what I've seen, it appears mine are from one of:
Ghana
Togo
Congo
From what I've seen, I would think they are from the Togo range. Certainly compared to Jacqui's-or for that matter most peoples'-, they are very light, kind of like maple colour or light oak. So my question is, is their a recognised list of ranges and characteristics for them. I know for a fact the Benin ones are very dark-a bit like Homeana-with hardly any white. Would it be possible for people to try and get an idea of possible eventual subspecies?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So a lot lighter then like this one:

082_zps4d433e3e.jpg

FLINTUS

5 Year Member

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
These guys are pretty light
[/URL

And this one for sure is super light I believe these came from Benin
Sorry the pictures suck.
[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/tortadise/media/IMG_20130726_110357_534_zpsd8a416d0.jpg.html]

Ahhhhhh man. I am an idiot. LOL sorry those are Homeana I posted. Ooooops.
Ok here are my EROSAS. They came from Ghana. I know 6 or 7 years ago I got some that came from Burkina Faso they were the largest Erosa I have ever had. Unfortunately I sold them years back. Those guys were 14+" and very very light colored. I may still have a photo of the group actually.

But here is the current ones I have from Ghana

[/URL]

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Your guys have red on the inside of their shell though don't they? Mine are kind of golden. Their main colour is similar to the secondary colour on yours.
Just a thought, I think 14 inches is an official record for erosas, according to Danny(EgyptianDan64 on Shelled Warriors) from what I remember the largest ones on record are 31 cm, or just over 12 inches. There must be subspecies that will be recognized in these guys in years to come. One of the few breeders excluding you had some females that laid fertile eggs at 21 cm and they hatched them, where as for a species meant to reach 12 inch you would expect around the 10 inch mark-can't remember who they're called but some breeder in France in 2007, hatched at 28 Celsius I think. Yet again, like the majority of eggs for this species, they were kept as a pair for the male and female.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I know for a fact that the different locales show different looks for sure. I candled my 7 eggs yesterday. Still too early I think. I thought maybe for a second I saw some vessels in 3 or 4 of them. I hope they hatch. Would be a great success. Yeah they were massive. Absolutely incredibly gargantuan specimens.

Alrighty. Here is that group i had way back when.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Those are bigguns! I think they may actually be record breakers if you know who has them now, I know officially it's 31cm according to Dan. Those colours are lovely but not what I'm talking about. They are not as marbled as yours, in fact hardly at all, they are mainly one colour with flecks of white. The inside of the shell colour of the tortoise at centre, back is the colour they are.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Re: RE: Localities of erosas

Kelly,

That single individual next to the dollar, man what a spectacular individual.

The three in one shot look hauntingly like steange shape galbinfrons.

Those all may be worth some followup, ya know?

Will

tortadise said:
I know for a fact that the different locales show different looks for sure. I candled my 7 eggs yesterday. Still too early I think. I thought maybe for a second I saw some vessels in 3 or 4 of them. I hope they hatch. Would be a great success. Yeah they were massive. Absolutely incredibly gargantuan specimens.

Alrighty. Here is that group i had way back when.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.