Living in too small enclosure and affect on health

Geng

5 Year Member
When I bought my 1 year old tortoise 3 months ago she was still a little sprout and was living in an enclosure of 2.6x1.5. Now that she has grown I want a bigger enclosure for her, so I bought one last week. Sadly I had to move her back to her old and smaller enclosure because I had problems with the substrate and lightning. I want to move her asap back to her bigger enclosure, but school and work is keeping me busy. The only day that I really time have to set up her enclosure good would be this weekend.

I really feel bad for her, because living in this small enclosure feels for her (and me) like living in a prison. She seems really bored because she sleeps alot, and only wakes up to see if there is anything to eat. When I moved to her bigger enclosure she seemed awake and alive to explore her new home, so I felt really bad when I had to crush her happiness by moving her back. I wonder if that's the only issue that a tortoise is having by living in a small enclosure. Can living in a small enclosure cause any other (health) problems, aside not being happy?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, they don't get the exercise they need. They can then lose strength to walk correctly. Not enough exercise can also affect their digestive tract and the end result, their pooping, or maybe lack of, impactions. I'm sure there is more that's not coming to me, but these two are important enough anyway. A few more days probably won't hurt anything. The affects are more of a longer term in a too small of an enclosure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A small enclosure is exactly like a prison cell. The tort could survive but not live. I believe this to be particularly true due to the fact that these cute little animals live in the wild where there are literally free as far as their movement is concerned. For this reason, I take OLI for a walk out in the sun whenever possible.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if it is temporary a few days even a few weeks there should not be any long term side effects

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
whats the longest you would recommend keeping them there if you have to? winter is coming in my state, im very limited this year with space, and in michigan its 8 months.