Lincoln's moving on up in the world!

Lincoln's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
Central Alabama
Lincoln's newest enclosure. Made from a children's play table, repainted and added the walls! Since setting it up I keep a rubber made tube lid over half to help with humidity. Just thought I would share. I was able to buy the 3 ft by 5 ft table at a yard sell for $10. After sandpaper, a little paint and the extra wood had a great size enclosure for all of $40! With plenty of room to grow.
He's in the back checking out his new house and garden gnome.

Attachments

• Lincolns enclosure.jpg
    Lincolns enclosure.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 62

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Cool.
Two small things I would tweak.
1) Make sure that none of those pebbles are a size that can fit into your tortoises mouth. They will swallow rocks from time to time.
2) Id cap the corners to stop any climbing out attempts. Especially near that house.
Like so: Triangular wood or other material.

Attachments

• 20161010_123324.jpg
    20161010_123324.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

Lincoln's Mom

Central Alabama
Cool.
Two small things I would tweak.
1) Make sure that none of those pebbles are a size that can fit into your tortoises mouth. They will swallow rocks from time to time.
2) Id cap the corners to stop any climbing out attempts. Especially near that house.
Like so: Triangular wood or other material.

The rocks are much larger than his mouth thank you though because i honestly did not think about that. And i will be capping the corners this weekend per your suggestion! Thank you! This was my first attempt at an upgraded enclosure from his previous rubber made . Any advise is appreciated!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't have a problem with open tables like that necessarily, but it does make environmental control a bit difficult. Do you have any other way of measuring temperatures and humidity other than the dials in the picture?

I would suggest blocking of the edges of the ramp and the top of the hide (or remove the ramp entirely). Your tortoise may fall and go boom.

Lincoln's Mom

Central Alabama
I don't have a problem with open tables like that necessarily, but it does make environmental control a bit difficult. Do you have any other way of measuring temperatures and humidity other than the dials in the picture?

I would suggest blocking of the edges of the ramp and the top of the hide (or remove the ramp entirely). Your tortoise may fall and go boom.

The ramp is only in place occasionally when I am home and near by. I have 50% covered with a thick plastic on one end and 25% with a rubber made lidre remaining 25% in the middle is open to air.
And no I only have the one dial that I move around.
I can post a picture tomorrow when I'm back around a desk top.

Last edited:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would suggest investing in a couple more thermometers and hygrometers of different types. My experience with the dial type is that they tend to be inaccurate, more-so than other thermometers.

Something like this is popular, as are the types with remote probes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Temperature guns are generally pretty accurate.

I tend to use several in my indoor set ups since I am not sure how to calibrate the type I use to make sure they are 100% accurate. They still tend to show some variation between the types I use, but usually by only a degree or two so I just average all of them.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I would worry about the little guy falling off that house and flipping over.

Lincoln's Mom

Central Alabama
I would suggest investing in a couple more thermometers and hygrometers of different types. My experience with the dial type is that they tend to be inaccurate, more-so than other thermometers.

Something like this is popular, as are the types with remote probes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Temperature guns are generally pretty accurate.

I tend to use several in my indoor set ups since I am not sure how to calibrate the type I use to make sure they are 100% accurate. They still tend to show some variation between the types I use, but usually by only a degree or two so I just average all of them.

Thanks for the link! Just ordered a double pack for 19.99 thank you amazon prime they will be here soon!

Lincoln's Mom

Central Alabama

@Neal This is what it typically looks like also note no ramp! lol!

Attachments

• Lincoln.jpg
    Lincoln.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16