"Life" (BBC/Discovery, 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The newest iteration of the wildly successful "Planet Earth" is "Life", narrated by Oprah Winfrey in the US. So far, two episodes have been released- the second is labeled "Reptiles and Amphibians".

So far, I am quite disappointed. I really hope the British version, hosted by Sir David Attenborough, uses a different script and soundtrack.

I find that the US version script is almost condescending, oversimplifying science (a small Brazilian gecko is touted for having 'waterproof skin' when all reptiles do, another comment that the same gecko is evolved from T Rex, and other small but annoyingly inaccurate comments) and trying to make stories cute rather than meaningful.

The musical score is not the background, mood enhancing version seen in better series like this, it is too dominating, too manipulative, and gets in the way and on my nerves.

"Planet Earth" and "Life in Cold Blood" feature vignettes that catch your interest- somehow the stores in "Life" really don't. I think Oprah takes some of the blame for this- somehow she is just not delivering, but it may just be a weak script.

I am also irritated by a tendency to show a lot of gorgeous filler between the stories, along with over-use of slo-mo that somehow manages to steal some scenes of their power (A slo-mo hippo fight seems more ballet than fury, when the real story would seem to be the sheer force involved.)

There is even a bit of cheating. They show a smooth, snowy winter scene with no trees around and suggest that this is the same place as the next bit- the mass emergence and mating of the Red-sided Gartersnake in Manitoba. I've actually been there, and the frozen scene cannot be the same place as the actual dens, which are in very wooded areas. This is also a scene where the music seems to be telling a much more flippant story than the narrator is telling.

On the up-side, the imagery is GORGEOUS with incredible angles and shots. While the reptiles and amphibians are not presented as awesomely as in "Life in Cold Blood", they are still shown as amazing and beautiful creatures that may help some people see past the usual stereotypes.

The DVD of "Planet Earth" that I have is the Attenborough version, and it is better than the US Signoreny Weaver version. I keep trying to hear Attenbourough's voice in this one, and I think it would be a lot better here as well.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Thats all American science shows. Look at Animal Planet there is a series about ghosts. And Animal Planet and the History Channel keep releasing new series about cryptozoology, bigfoot, aliens etc. Occasionally National Geographic, or the BBC releases a good and smart show that doesn't insult you.

Has anyone seen the show Fatal Attractions? The very first episode is about keeping reptiles as pets. It showcases two scenes where the owners died from either lizard or snake bites. The whole hour long show tries to convey the "stupidity" and "ignorance" of owning a reptile saying that its a power trip for owners and that they are deadly. Also it tells us that keeping many reptiles is a symptom of being a shut in (like old cat ladies) or trying to gain power over something most people view as creepy.

In all, Americans view on animals is that of a child in a pet store banging on the glass screaming, "Move turtle move!" and then getting bored because it didn't balance on a ball for their amusement.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I saw the Life segment about reptiles and amphibians, and I wasn't impressed. I also hated the music. I don't understand why they have to have back ground music. For me it totally detracts from the show. I didn't like that they used some of the same shots of animals in different sequences like they thought we wouldn't recognize that its the same shot only in a new sequence. The only part I actually enjoyed with the poison dart frog carrying her babies one at a time up the trees to deposit each one in a separate bromeliad. Absolutely wonderful nature!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Rhyno- I reluctantly agree. Sadly, a LOT of American educational stuff falls short.

Emys- It is not the presence of background music that is the problem, it is that the background music is not in the background here.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Oprah Winfrey????!

.Laugh Out Loud.

I also have the Attenborough version.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Even Mike Rowe would have been better than Oprah.David would have been even better.

S

Scooter

I almost didn't watch the show just because Oprah was narrating, no offense to her she is just not the first person I would go to for something like that.

I saw the Fatal Attractions you are talking about Rhyno, I did not like the way they portrayed reptile keepers and their pets either. I found it insulting.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
It sounds like they have completely changed the script and 'dummed it down' for the US folk. I thouhgt that ligft was very well done and insightfull, and i dont remember any music at all, but it it was very well recieved here in the UK . Narrated by attenborough. I especially liked the papios mountain baboons and the water insect that lay her egg into some giant tree (now who sounds dumb, i cant remember what it was called). Life is now out on DVD, the british version, and im sure to pick up a copy when i get home. It is very reasonable on amazon! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dreadyA said:
Oprah Winfrey????!

.Laugh Out Loud.

I also have the Attenborough version.

You can't tell me she did this because she needed the money. Tell you the truth, when I was watching the show it never occurred to me that it was Oprah talking.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
When are all you critics going to produce "your" TV doc. on tortoises?

NERD

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
When are all you critics going to produce "your" TV doc. on tortoises?

NERD

When they tried to show the absolutely BEAUTIFULLY done series "Life In Cold Blood" by Sir Attenborough, all about reptiles with some great tortoise footage in it, it was cancelled after a couple episodes for low viewership. There are great nature documentaries out there- the American version of 'Life' in my opinion is not one of them.

alfiethetortoise said:
It sounds like they have completely changed the script and 'dummed it down' for the US folk. I thouhgt that ligft was very well done and insightfull, and i dont remember any music at all, but it it was very well recieved here in the UK . Narrated by attenborough. I especially liked the papios mountain baboons and the water insect that lay her egg into some giant tree (now who sounds dumb, i cant remember what it was called). Life is now out on DVD, the british version, and im sure to pick up a copy when i get home. It is very reasonable on amazon! :)

I was REALLY hoping the UK version would be better- thanks for reaffirming my faith in the BBC's nature department!

Status
Not open for further replies.