Lets try this again(eggs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
After last years attempt was unsuccessful and ended up in full term ebrionic death. Time to start over and get better results. Big Mama laid 36 eggs this morning. She didnt mess around this year. I started putting nesting material in her enclosure just a few weeks ago. She soaked for the past 3 days in the water and decided they were read.

Here is her nest last week.
about 14 bags of mulch and moss

Added a few more bags of mulch a couple of days ago. Look at her staring at it. "oh that's good stuff". Minutes after adding it she goes and adds it to her gargantuan pile.

Others are still being uploaded.
Fingers crossed this years method of incubation will work better.

Here is this years plan. For anyone that doesn't deal with manouria eggs. Let me fill you in. Their is this little tiny teeny wheeny gnats or flies that show up around just before the time the little guys are suppose to hatch. Well they are killers. They drill through the eggs and lay maggots that eat the babies. So I am eliminating substrate in one incubator, I used egg cartons for both sets of eggs. Leaving vermiculite in the bottom of each egg, and nothing in the other. 18 eggs per incubator same temps. Humidity around 70-90%. Hope it works.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Wow that exciting a lot of mulch for such a tiny little gir, well not tiny you know what I mean. Lol

Good luck keep us updated on the eggs. Hopefully you can hatch a bunch

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well I suppose she may not be done. She "covered" her nest. But I stole the eggs. Shhhh she doesn't know. Now she is digging in another area of the massive nest. Let's hope more eggs this afternoon

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I look forward to seeing if those egg cartons work for you. I have pondered using them as well.

Good luck with the ova!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks. It just makes sense to me for some reason. If she lays more soon. I'm going to use the traditional deli cup with vermiculite I baked earlier.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats awesome !!!!!!! Hope everything goes well for you and her babies.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.