Leopard Tortoise

Juneann90

I recently brought a 3 year old Leopard Tortoise, and not 100% sure what bedding to use in his (previous owner said he was a male) vivarium, he currently has thick wood chips, but I don't feel like these are okay for him, but don't know where to go or who to ask about his bedding. Also I feed him lettuce and broccoli and other various fruit and vegetable, do I feed him any dry food, he's doing really amazing he's not shy at all anymore, he was when we first had him, he now comes straight to my hand when I go to him, he's really beautiful, just want to make sure I'm doing the best for him, thank you for any advice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome I have a leopard too, they are beautiful - and this place has lots of up to date information.
You'll find lots of great information here re temps diet humidity and substrate etc.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/leopard-tortoises.87/

The Beginners Mistakes thread will help you avoid problems encountered by others (link below)
and the Enclosures thread has lots of ideas for a safe happy home for your tort.
So read away and ask as many questions as you need - someone will soon get back to you.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. What size is your leopard? Young and adult care is a little different. The diet you're feeding is not ideal. Fruit should not be fed hardly ever, if ever. Mazuri and grassland tortoise food are both good options for dry foods.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome. Lettuce not so go so use it with a wide variety of other greens like endive, ridichio, mustard greens, dandelion, and forget the fruit.

Juneann90

Welcome to the forum. What size is your leopard? Young and adult care is a little different. The diet you're feeding is not ideal. Fruit should not be fed hardly ever, if ever. Mazuri and grassland tortoise food are both good options for dry foods.

Hello thank you for your reply, his shell is 5inch long (I measured underneath ) not sure how I was suppose to measure him, I'm still not 100% sure how old he is the previous owner said 3. But not sure. He's really really active and healthy. Will get him them dry goods that you have mentioned thank you

Juneann90

Hi and welcome I have a leopard too, they are beautiful - and this place has lots of up to date information.
You'll find lots of great information here re temps diet humidity and substrate etc.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/leopard-tortoises.87/

The Beginners Mistakes thread will help you avoid problems encountered by others (link below)
and the Enclosures thread has lots of ideas for a safe happy home for your tort.
So read away and ask as many questions as you need - someone will soon get back to you.
Thank you. Will have a read now x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello thank you for your reply, his shell is 5inch long (I measured underneath ) not sure how I was suppose to measure him, I'm still not 100% sure how old he is the previous owner said 3. But not sure. He's really really active and healthy. Will get him them dry goods that you have mentioned thank you
My leopard unfortunately won't touch dried grasses/hay so I grind it in a blender and sprinkle it onto wet leaves and spray with water again to make sure it sticks - then he can't avoid it. Hope yours is less picky!!!
I don't know for sure how old my leopard is either he is 11" long and thought to be about 4/5 years old, (based on an 8 year I saw that was approx. 16" long) unfortunately I'll never know for sure; so yours could be younger - having said that they all grow at different rates and affected by diet/conditions . If you can post some pics some of the more experienced keepers may be able to help with that.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a great guide to ID plants and check which foods are good to feed regularly or in moderation etc, some people think they are over cautious but as a relative novice, I find that a good thing.