leopard tortoise. (Calcium block)

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Just a quick question really has anyone used zoomed tortoise block calcium before?

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I have my tortoises basically treat it like their cuttlefish bone

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Yeah I just bought one and each one sniffed it, tried to take a bite and then just went back to eating there food, I have a cuttlefish but they don't use it. How's everyone's tortoises doing as in the UK it's raining (again).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine never liked it either. What you can do is scrape some of it to flake over the food.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I've tried that but wasn't to sure if I should as I use a calcium dust as well, but they seem healthy as just weighed them, this month they have broken the 305 grams. And are eating well, am trying to grow my own weeds as well, and as a treat I give them mazuri once a week which they enjoy.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
This is what I do, it was a door gift at the TTPG conference from ZooMed. When made into large crumbles my Egyptians will eat it directly.
Thank you for the advice I'll try that, they had a nibble but it look to much effort for them to break it off.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopards wouldn't touch it. They eat the cuttlebone now and then though.
My leopards will only eat cuttle when it's new. Do you find yours to do this too? II started breaking them into smaller chunks, so I can give a piece to each one instead of each one getting a whole one to waist.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
My leopards will only eat cuttle when it's new. Do you find yours to do this too? II started breaking them into smaller chunks, so I can give a piece to each one instead of each one getting a whole one to waist.
Yes, they seem to prefer newer ones. I also break them into chunks...if I leave them in there whole they don't get touched. I hadn't thought to just give one chunk at a time though...I've been breaking it up and putting all the chunks in there at once. I like your idea better.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Yes, they seem to prefer newer ones. I also break them into chunks...if I leave them in there whole they don't get touched. I hadn't thought to just give one chunk at a time though...I've been breaking it up and putting all the chunks in there at once. I like your idea better.
Mine are trying to nibble the tortoise block but am unsure if its to hard for there beaks to break down? But there happy with there diet of dandelions, spring greens, kale, romaine and mazuri, I've just attempted to grow weeds but there taking a while to grow in the uk, i was wondering what other foods are good. as in the winter its a little harder in the uk.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Hibiscus flowers and leaves, mulberry leaves and opuntia cactus pads are all good. The cactus pads you can order online. Broad and narrowleaf plantain are good too...those usually grow everywhere.

As for the mineral block, try to break it up into chunks...hit it with a hammer or something....that should make it easier for them to chew on.

lisahoeger

gert.jpeg need help with my leopard tortoise I've had her about 2 months and she's been doing great... When I got her she didn't have the white on her shell it was all black... Is this ok does it mean she is going... HELP

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
View attachment 148156 need help with my leopard tortoise I've had her about 2 months and she's been doing great... When I got her she didn't have the white on her shell it was all black... Is this ok does it mean she is going... HELP
The white is probably growth lines which means your little one is getting bigger just as she should be.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Very healthy!, is it a male ?
I don't know yet. The v-shaped anal scutes indicate a female. Both male and female Cherryheads tuck their tails. Also, apparently young Cherryheads tend to appear female. I figure I'll know for sure when I see Rowan flash his weenie or lay eggs.