Leopard tortoise humidity question.

Daveypryme

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I recently got my leopard tortoise in July from a pet store and have been researching and improving his care since. I was told a lot of wrong info from the pet store I got him from. I posted on this forum about a week after purchasing I started with two leo torts, some of you might remember. Anyway, I was wondering about his humidity I have read a lot about hatchlings and young leopards needing lots of humidity. I was told mine is 5 years old, he is about 9 inches long and has some pyramiding the pet store told me his owner kept him dry all the time and for me to do the same. I know this is wrong after reading how to care for leopard tortoises on this forum.
I was wondering should he have the same amount of humidity as a baby? Or does he just need a little? Any help would be appreciated.
He is in a tortoise table that came with him. I have a uvb bulb and a ceramic heater at one end and just a ceramic heater at the other end. The hot end is usually at 97-100 degrees and the cool end is around 85-91.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If your tortoise is still growing, it will benefit from higher levels of humidity at any age.

This will be very difficult to do in an open topped enclosure.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
How humid is your enclosure right now and how are you measuring the humidity?

Daveypryme

Indiana
I have a exo terra hygrometer. It's a little over 60% humidity. What is a good humidity to keep him at? And does it go the same for outside in the summer? I have an outdoor pen set up for him to be in during the day with weather permitting, but I read they can't be outside if the humidity is over 76% I did not read that info on the tortoise forum just an online site.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have an outdoor pen set up for him to be in during the day with weather permitting, but I read they can't be outside if the humidity is over 76% I did not read that info on the tortoise forum just an online site.

Tell that to all the people in FL and Louisiana with healthy tortoises that live outside full time.

Its not true.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I have a exo terra hygrometer. It's a little over 60% humidity. What is a good humidity to keep him at? And does it go the same for outside in the summer? I have an outdoor pen set up for him to be in during the day with weather permitting, but I read they can't be outside if the humidity is over 76% I did not read that info on the tortoise forum just an online site.
I live in SOuth Louisiana where the humidity is rarely below 90% during the summer time. We are in the dead of winter and it's still 60-70%. That humidity issue is a total myth. I have left my young group of leopards outside 24/7 while we went on vacation for a week. It rained 5 of the 7 days that week and when I got home they looked fantastic. No issues whatsoever.

It's all about micro climates with leopards. The need areas of really high humidity, areas that are dry to bask, grazing areas, etc. What people make the mistake of doing is going overboard in one direction or the other. Most people keep it wayyy to hot and dry.

My torts prefer high humidity outside. They are far more active on a hot humid morning than a scorching hot dry morning. They will graze all day long if it's overcast and humid.

Eventually that myth will die. Hopefully sooner than later

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
In my indoor enclosure, the humidity is always between 83% - 90%. Since I starting using a closed chamber, I've had nothing but new growth come in on my torts. Just make sure you always keep temps above 80 day and night (which it sounds like you are already doing).

Daveypryme

Indiana
Thanks for all the help. I'll be enclosing his table soon to be able to make it more humid.