Leopard Tortoise Diet During Winter?

HannahThomas330

I woke up this morning and went to the refrigerator to get the tortoises some grub but there was none in the container. So I went outside to pick some weeds and grasses. I was stunned to see snow on the ground. My question is what to feed my torts now? I've been using spring mix from my local store. Will this be a good diet till spring comes back? Is there anything I can add? Thx for any help and suggestions!!:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Hannah, and welcome to the Forum!

You can look for endive, escarole, radicchio, turnip greens, kale, dandelion greens (called chicory in most stores) and occasionally romaine. Pick two or three this week, then 2 or 3 others next week, etc. It's best to give your tortoise a nice variety.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Hannah don't be afraid to use a good pelleted feed like Mazuri (not the LS version as torts don't seem to like it) to supplement the greens you buy in the coldest months. Many keepers do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I woke up this morning and went to the refrigerator to get the tortoises some grub but there was none in the container. So I went outside to pick some weeds and grasses. I was stunned to see snow on the ground. My question is what to feed my torts now? I've been using spring mix from my local store. Will this be a good diet till spring comes back? Is there anything I can add? Thx for any help and suggestions!!:)

Hello and welcome.

Spring mix alone is not a very good diet. In addition to the ones Yvonne mentioned, also look for cilantro, carrot tops, celery tops, and lots of other greens too. If there is an "ethnic" store in your area, they will often have other novel greens too, like squash leaves or opuntia cactus pads. You can also buy those little plots of sprouted grass at some grocery stores and most pet stores. Or sprout your own.

One issue with store bought greens is that they lack fiber and they also have the wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio. You can add fiber and variety to your tortoises diet by adding some soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets, Herbal Hay from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay, grass clippings from the aforementioned plots, Mazuri tortoise chow, or even blended grass hay. Start with tiny amounts of these things and gradually mix in more and more over time as the tortoise gets used to them. Spring mix and lettuce is like candy to tortoises and they will often resist your efforts to make them eat healthier foods.

HannahThomas330

Hi Hannah don't be afraid to use a good pelleted feed like Mazuri (not the LS version as torts don't seem to like it) to supplement the greens you buy in the coldest months. Many keepers do this.
I've been mixing some of that in with the spring mix. I have some dandelions and grasses frozen. I just don't think that's gonna last all winter. I'm gonna go and try to pick some more after the snow melts a little. Next year i'm for sure picking tons ahead of time to freeze. Thank you!!

HannahThomas330

Hi Hannah, and welcome to the Forum!

You can look for endive, escarole, radicchio, turnip greens, kale, dandelion greens (called chicory in most stores) and occasionally romaine. Pick two or three this week, then 2 or 3 others next week, etc. It's best to give your tortoise a nice variety.
Thank you!! I will make a list. I have some dandelions frozen but not much soon as the weather warms up a little. I'm going on a dandelion and hunt haha. Next year i'm going to be more prepared I feel foolish for not having more frozen. Again thank you!!

HannahThomas330

Hello and welcome.

Spring mix alone is not a very good diet. In addition to the ones Yvonne mentioned, also look for cilantro, carrot tops, celery tops, and lots of other greens too. If there is an "ethnic" store in your area, they will often have other novel greens too, like squash leaves or opuntia cactus pads. You can also buy those little plots of sprouted grass at some grocery stores and most pet stores. Or sprout your own.

One issue with store bought greens is that they lack fiber and they also have the wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio. You can add fiber and variety to your tortoises diet by adding some soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets, Herbal Hay from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay, grass clippings from the aforementioned plots, Mazuri tortoise chow, or even blended grass hay. Start with tiny amounts of these things and gradually mix in more and more over time as the tortoise gets used to them. Spring mix and lettuce is like candy to tortoises and they will often resist your efforts to make them eat healthier foods.
Thanks for all of the help. My mom just ordered some cactus pads offline!!