Leopard Pyramiding

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone!

On Friday, I'm totally re-doing my Leopard tortoises' indoor table, I'll have some sort of tarp over it to increase humidity, some new mulch substrate that will increase humidity, and some other things such as that.

Anyway, I was wondering, is my Leopard's pyramiding at an unfixable level? Or will these changes stop it right in his tracks, and he'll grow up to be a healthy, normal looking tortoise.

Thanks.

IMG_1860.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The growth that has already happened cannot be changed. All you can do is attempt to get the new growth to come in at a less steep angle. Over time, they tend to look less pyramided when the new growth comes in smoother.

Kasia

Poland
Hey everyone!

On Friday, I'm totally re-doing my Leopard tortoises' indoor table, I'll have some sort of tarp over it to increase humidity, some new mulch substrate that will increase humidity, and some other things such as that.

Anyway, I was wondering, is my Leopard's pyramiding at an unfixable level? Or will these changes stop it right in his tracks, and he'll grow up to be a healthy, normal looking tortoise.

Thanks.

View attachment 168296

Little bumpy fella but still a cutie pie :) Even if his not the smoothest he still can be healthy. Read the care sheets available on this page and upgrade Your Leo conditions :). It's not too late to change Your routine for better :) Good luck ;)

Last edited:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
There is a genetic component with pyramiding. Some tortoises in perfect environment still get bumping. I have seen a group of Babcocki kept in perfect Florida conditions have bumping and others perfectly smooth. Unrelated animals as well.