Leo TORT weight problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I've had my three torts for a few months now. I've been taking measurments roughly every two weeks and I've found that my torts are actualy loosing weight.

Units are in grams

Feb 23 Mar 10 Apr 3

Coopa 50 52 46

Turty 49 50 46

Dora 35 40 38

I know there is no need to trip over small weight fluctuations, But after a month and a half, two of my torts have lost 4 grams. Should I be offering food twice per day. I'm only offering food once a day, I let them eat for about 45 min then I put them in there box. Most of the time Dora and Koop stop eating and start exploring, and Turty eats slow so he can prety much eat all day.

Other than this weight thing, they seem prety active. Turty is less active but very allert.

He's a few pics just because.

P4010010.jpg

P4020011.jpg

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
When I got my 2 leos, they were really underweight. One thrived within 2 weeks or so. The other gained, lost, gained, lost lots for probably 3 or 4 months. He finally fell into the groove and has been doing great since. Are you soaking them regularly? Have you tried Mazuri? Mine starting gaining better once I started feeding it mixed with cactus, but I only feed it 2 or 3 times per week. I feed mine greens twice a day. Hope that helps!

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
I feed mazuri about once per week. I soak about once a day. But I only offer food once a day. I keep Violas in their enclosure so they can nibble at there leasure. I'm going to offer more food from now on and see how they do after a week or two.

Do most of you guys feed your babys twice a day?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I try to feed the babies in the morning and the evening. Have you soaked them before weighing them?

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
I have soaked them before weighing.

My Smallest Tort has a swollen and kind of white-ish looking left eye. The swelling is mainly under the eye but she's been keeping it closed for the last day and only opens it for a little while. I havent seen any mucose or runnyness of any sort. Maybe she just poked it on somthing and just keeps it closed cuz its sensitive.

Thoughts?

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
I'm feeding my Torts twice a day now. Doras eye problems and lathargy seem to be getting better. I just soaked here three times a day and fed her more. Both of her eyes are now open all the time now so all things seem back to normal.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
luke said:
I'm feeding my Torts twice a day now. Doras eye problems and lathargy seem to be getting better. I just soaked here three times a day and fed her more. Both of her eyes are now open all the time now so all things seem back to normal.

That is great new's Luke!

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Ours pretty much eat all day. I also noticed a big shift in their weight gain (in a good way) when I switched brands of MVBs (from Solar Glo to Mega-ray).

-Devon

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Badgemash said:
Ours pretty much eat all day. I also noticed a big shift in their weight gain (in a good way) when I switched brands of MVBs (from Solar Glo to Mega-ray).

-Devon

Yeah, I've been using a regular old 18" 10uvb. I take them out several times a week to take in some sun. I hope they're weights get better soon. I'll be keeping close watch

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you mean you let them eat for 45 minutes and then put them in their box? Are you feeding them outside their enclosure?

I'd feed them a big pile in the morning and another fresh pile in the afternoon, even if they left some from the morning. I wouldn't put them on a time limit either. Often their appetites peak at different times of the day and sometimes they need to move around and or thermoregulate a bit. Sometimes I'll put food in with some babies and it just sits there for an hour or two and then, suddenly, they come over and eat it all up in minutes. Sounds like yours are missing this opportunity due to your time frame. Do not worry about over feeding at this age. They should not be losing weight. I'd also bump up the Mazuri to three times a week until you see some steady weight gain.

Also, what is your set-up like? Temps?

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
I recently took out the violas I had in there. For the longest time my routine was to feed them in the morning outside of their enclosure. If it was warm Id put them on a large clay saucer inside a wood box and place it out side for an hour or so. If not warm I would just feed them in the living room, perhaps under a spotlight. Usualy they would eat for about a half an hour and then two of them would leave. One of them can eat for much longer but thats where the 45 min thing came from. Thats usualy how long they eat in a single sitting. They would nibble on the violas throughout that day So I figured things were OK.

The ambient room temp I keep in the high 70s. Their basking area is around 100. The Hides are in the low to mid 70s.

P4080009.jpg

P4080010.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your set ups look very good and the temperatures are what I would consider ideal for leopards. How are they doing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.